In Between The Chorus

It was like any other day in Hera Palace. The continuing days of pride and greed. Rich people still maintained their throne. They still enjoyed the luxury of living whilst indulge themselves in the recent gossips. Including the fact that another tragedy evolved around their own neighbors.

Since the outbreak of news, everyone talked about the kidnapping of Ha; the almost death of an only child of the best soprano in South Korea. The sudden loss of a mere child on the 45th floor was forgotten in the last twenty-four hours of the funeral. The only important things they cared about were the safety of the "victim" and the revelation of "truth" from the victim's family. They never cared about the buried one. They never did.

The only person who really mourned for the death was Shim Suryeon. The one who felt grief other than Bae Rona. The now orphan girl.

After the funeral was held, Rona tried hard to let go of sorrow. On the first day, she still waited for her mother. She'd cry for hours; screamed till her throat's burn. On the second day, she acted like she was fine, she'd sleep soundly without a care in the world. The next day, she cried in her sleep. And it was happening for an entire week. As if she was being pushed and pulled by her own emptiness, until she finally learnt how to let go by only remembering beautiful memories.

So, she did. With the help of Suryeon, she opened her mother's bedroom. The very closed door in her cold home. With an attempt of trying to say goodbye whilst embracing the remaining pieces of her beloved mother left, she learnt to let go.

"Rona."

The calming sound of someone made her look up straight into familiar black eyes. The one who had been by her side within her endless times of nightmares. Joo Seokhoon.

Taking a seat beside Rona, Seokhoon locked her hand with his to catch her attention. He took her left hand to his lap, then caressed his thumb in circles. The soft brush filled Rona with warm feelings. For a moment, she liked it. The comfort he gave her.

"Are you not hungry? Should I make you an omelette?"

Rona sat still. She only breathed in and out. Like it was an answer. Matching the quietness of her living room; the living room which was always lively and cheery. Full of laugh and happy smile radiated from her mother. She missed her.

"Rona-ya."

Gentle pull from Seokhoon's brought Rona back from her thoughts. Once again, another sigh escaped from his parted lips. It was like a repeat of the first day since the funeral. He closed his eyes briefly before catching the dull stare of Rona. Her swollen eyes.

Tightly holding both of his girlfriend's hands, Seokhoon muttered, "Rona, you can't keep going on like this. At this rate, you'll collapse. Let's go to the hospital to get an IV drip if you don't want to eat, hm?"

Again, Rona only sat still. Whenever she wanted to answer, something caught in her throat. Trapped her in the moment. She missed her.

"You said that you can't live without your mom. You said that you can't keep on living anymore, but have you ever thought about me? Me who can't stay sane if you left me?"

Seokhoon's shaky words through his trembling lips made Rona hold a breath. She shifted her eyes from his gaze to their intertwined hands.

Desperate. He felt really desperate. Rona could see it in his eyes. His fear of losing her again for the second time. No, for the third time since he left her all alone in the first grade when her mom was accused for his mother's death. And Rona knew he couldn't bear to let that happen all over again. He hated it. He hated the choices he made. He passionately hated himself.

Tightening his grip, Seokhoon whispered, "So, please. Please let yourself be treated, okay? For me. Just this once."

"Okay," she mumbled. Giving her best smile, Rona reassured him. For keeping up with her.

Seokhoon felt relieved. Almost joyful to hear her answer. Slowly, he wrapped his arms among her. Wrapped Rona in a warm hug where they could feel each other's heartbeat; pacing to the rhythms of their breath. Like a reminder for the life she should live.

He stroked her hair gently, whereas Rona rested her head on his shoulder with closed eyes. Somehow, she felt so drowsy. And his hum led her to eternal dreamland. With each minute passed, Seokhoon's words faintly came through the breezes as if it was an ending lullaby to her sleep.

"I promise. I will protect you, Rona. To stay and to be here. For now and forever."

Yeah, she missed her. But she could live.