Near Deep End

It had been six months. Six months without Yoonhee. Without her embraced to console sad days nor her warm smile to start happy days. The bedroom on the other side of the living room was empty. Left behind by the owner, like a closed chapter of a book. With a clear ending of death.

The sight of her mom's dead body carved permanently on her mind. The bruised and scarred of her beautiful face. She could remember it as clearly as day. After all, it was too sudden. Too much to be forgotten.

But she should. Rona must live.

So, she tried hard to stand up. She put aside all the broken and painful memories to the back of her mind; continued her path. To be a classical singer, the best soprano. Her mother's longing for her entire life.

"I'm applying for an audition," Rona said on another eventful morning to Kang Mari and Yoo Jenny.

The two had been accompanying her since Mari caught Jenny secretly bringing food for Rona. Hearing her reluctance to eat from her daughter, Mari would come to cook meals day and night. Sometimes, Rona wondered why she'd care so much to the extent of lending a hand for her. She pondered whether it was her way of debt and guilt, or her sincere way of comforting her.

Still, she felt grateful for their concern over her. With the divorced issue and Jenny's occasional overstay in Rona's, they spent time listening to each other daily. Mari would ask both Jenny and Rona about their schedule every morning. It was like her morning greeting. Like that day.

"Again? What's the point if you always apply? You never reach the audition stage," Mari stated.

She took a seat in front of Rona, then continued, "They don't care for you because you are a killer's daughter. Ms. Cheon and the media are doing all they can to tear you down. How will you ever pass an audition?"

"Still, I should keep trying," Rona said with determined face.

She meant it. She swore for herself to keep on trying ever since her mom was still alive. Now that she had gone, it didn't stop her. Every time she failed the audition, she'd apply for another one. She fully knew the brick walls of people like Seojin, who topped her in terms of fame and money. The one who would block her in any possible way.

She knew it, but she was the definition of stubborn itself. If Cheon Seojin and Ha Eunbyeol never intended to clear her path, then she'd put up a good defense. To avenge all the times she spent in shallow because of their countless insult and torture.

A fresh start for herself.

***

Rona went back straight to Hera Palace after she applied for another audition. Even though she planned on taking a leisurely walk at Han River, she decided to go home.

Momentary meeting with Seojin and Eunbyeol that noon made her mood drop. She was fed up by seeing both of them. Their scornful faces were somehow sickening. To the point she couldn't help, but put them into their right place. And she felt glad to see them taken aback. She really did.

You did great, Rona.

Closing the apartment door, Rona dropped her body to the couch with a sigh. She didn't bother to turn on the light and let the dark swallow her. Only the illuminating light from towers and busy streets which reflected on the wide glass window of her home. Once again, it was like the entire week of weeping for her mother. Only her and her alone.

But it wasn't long for her to dwell in her thoughts. At those times of day, Seokhoon would appear at her doorstep. He'd ring the doorbell to let her know he's there, even though he could come straight inside on his own. He'd bring her favorite food with their signature drinks and talk about everything. Like they always did.

"I bring you sweet potato pizza today," he greeted as soon as she opened the door.

Without a word, Rona took the plastic bags from his hand. She went to arrange it on the table right away whilst Seokhoon followed her silently from behind. He grabbed a seat in front of her after washing his hands in the sink.

They ate in silence for the first time. The past two weeks had been full of exchanging words that the quietness they felt today was eerie. Both of them remained in their own bubble, especially Rona who couldn't stop thinking about her audition today.

Eventually, Seokhoon was the one who spoke first. He said, "I heard from Jenny earlier about you."

"She said you're going to another audition again today," he added.

Rona sighed. She knew where this topic would be going. They had been arguing about it constantly. And she didn't like the fact that he never understood her point.

"We've talked about this."

"Rona-ya, I..."

"I'm not going, Seokhoon," Rona said. She abruptly cut off his words.

She stared right at him, then spoke, "I'm not going to Juilliard with you. Not now or even later in the future."

This time Seokhoon sighed. He closed his eyes for a moment, like he always did whenever he was feeling tired. Rona could never understand why because the one who felt tired was her. She had enough with his way of reasoning to her choice.

"We've talked about this for so long. Why couldn't you understand my own choice?"

"Because the more time you spend here, you'll be in danger. I don't want you to get hurt."

"I won't. I can protect myself."

"Rona-ya."

"I will never leave my mom alone. Not when the real culprit of her death still lingers in the bush and enjoys the fact that my poor dead mom is being accused," she concluded in the end.

And Seokhoon stopped at the mention of her mother. He wanted to argue more and tried to reason with her, but he couldn't say anything. In return, Rona avoided his gaze and finished her pizza in utter silence. Till the end of their meal, he didn't say a word about their heated argument.

When he finally stood to leave Rona, he opened up his mind, "I'm sorry. I've been acting like a child these past days. I know you can protect yourself, you're always strong. Not to mention very stubborn, too. But, I'm just afraid. Afraid to be the one who makes hasty decisions again, by agreeing with you. And I knew it was wrong of me to keep pressuring you. I really am sorry. Please don't be angry with me, okay?"

Rona looked at the gloomy eyes of Seokhoon. The black eyes which never held anger and fury towards her, but love only. His hesitant eyes.

A smile slowly crept to her face. She took his hand to calm him. Brushing her thumb like he always did for her. Giving him the exact comfort of what he gave through his warm presence. And Seokhoon returned it back with his gentle grip.

Although the tingle feelings of each other left them with assurance, both of them could tell it was another start of their relationship.