Chapter 10

Mia

It's Saturday evening and I'm just finishing up my shift at Dippin Dots when Marley walks in with Liam.

"Hey chica!" Marley grins, sauntering over to the counter, eyeing the tiny frozen ice cream beads.

"Yo, could I get the banana split?" Liam asks me.

"Sure" I reply, "but not from me, I'm clocking out." I pull my apron over my head and hang it on the hook.
"Justin, You've got customers!" I holler into the back. He comes out rolling his eyes at me as I sit down at a table.

After getting their ice cream Liam and Marley come sit across the table from me.

"So" says Liam between bites. "You coming to my party tonight?"

Marleys eyes get wide as she mouths "YES" to me dramatically.

"Uhm, yes?" I say, glancing at her. "I actually didn't know you were having a party" I reply.

"Cole didn't tell you?" Liam asks, confused. He glances between Marley and I. "He probably just hasn't gotten a chance yet".

"Probably.." I murmur. I pick up my phone and text Cole: Liam says there's a party tonight?

"Promise we will see you tonight? I feel like I haven't talked to you all week" Marley asks.

She's right. I guess I've been avoiding everyone this week. My phone beeps and I glance down at Coles reply.
Cole: pick you up at 8?

I look up and smile at Marley "I promise."

..
..

When I get home i hang my keys and bag up on the hook beside the door before I head to check the fridge for something to eat. I know there's a zero percent chance Marilee cooked dinner. When I says she's changed, I mean it, she has. But she's still not what most would call maternal. And she certainly doesn't cook.

The fridge is empty besides some old deli meat slices and a jar of peanut butter. I sigh. I guess my paycheck will be going to groceries tomorrow. I grab the peanut butter and a banana from the counter and head to my room to eat.

After eating I jump in the shower. While standing under the hot stream of water I think about how weird Cole has been this week. I feel like we're growing apart but I'm also just not ready to let him go yet. To be completely honest with myself, a little bit of what Marilee said last night got to me.. That woman certainly knows how to play off my insecurities. I vow to myself to try to be a better girlfriend. Starting tonight.

I get out and dry my hair and straighten it with my flat iron. It's not as nice as when Marley does it but it will do. I apply some light makeup and head to my closet, picking out a pale green sundress. Since the party is indoors I pair it with some nude wedges. I smile at my reflection, casual yet put together. I've come a long way since cut offs and flip flops. Marley will be proud.

My phone dings and I see it's Cole texting that he's here to pick me up. I walk down the hall past Marilee who smiles in approval, and I'm out the door.

..
Cole holds my hand as we walk up to Liams house. He leans down and kisses my neck before opening the door, "you smell nice" he says.

I smile and kiss his cheek. "So do you. I've missed you lately."

He looks down at me with an expression that's both hopeful and little sad. "Really?" he says "Me too babe."