Chapter 37

Mia

"Finally" I say, my eyes still closed and a smile on my mouth as Nick pulls back from our kiss.

Nick exhales a small chuckle and grabs my hand, guiding us both down to sit. Leaning over me, he drags his stashed sleeping bag over and places it behind our backs to lean on.

We settle in, laying side by side, shoulders touching and fingers entwined, looking at the nights sky.

This feels right, I think, and sighing contentedly I drape my left ankle over his right. Nick turns his face towards me, breaking the spell. "Some things never change, huh?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, taking in his features as my eyes adjust to the moonlight.

Nick points down at my leg, "That. You used to always wrap your ankle over mine. Just like that."

"Oh" I say, "is it uncomfortable?" I start to move my leg but Nick reaches down and grasps my knee, stilling me.

"No. I like it"

"Ok" I exhale, a little disoriented from his touch.

"It feels right, yeah? Being here in this place together." Nick says as he turns his body towards mine, lying on his side. I mirror his position and stare at him, taking in every inch of his face. There's none of the boyness left in his features, but in this treehouse I feel like I recognize him better than ever. I reach over and trace my finger over his eyebrows, down his cheek and jawbone. Nick shuts his eyes, letting me explore.

"It feels right" I finally reply with a whisper. I continue tracing his face "Its hard to believe this is real. Here in this place with you again.. After all those years wondering.."

Nick opens his eyes and breathes out, his breath tickling my face. "I tried so hard to keep space between us. I thought it was the best thing for you. Maybe I'm just too selfish, Mia. But I don't want to stay away anymore."

I feel my heart burst with happiness and hope. "Then dont" I say, bringing my hand back up to his face, this time tracing around his lips. Nick leans into my touch, his face only inches from mine. I feel his breathing pick up as he places his own hand against my cheek, caressing it with his thumb as we gaze at one another.

Like there's a magnet between us our bodies have gravitated towards each other until there isn't a space between us left.

"You're so beautiful Mia" Nick says, sliding his hand into my hair. He grips my head and brings his face a fraction closer until his lips graze against mine, once, twice, with a devastating lightness that makes me whimper for more. I want this kiss, a real kiss, more than I can describe.

Recognizing my eagerness, Nick deepens the kiss, pressing his mouth harder against mine. I open my mouth and he kisses me more thoroughly this time, his tongue tangled with mine. I feel my body ignite from head to toe. I didn't know it could be like this. I've never wanted someone, ached for someone like this.. with every inch of my body and soul on fire for him.

We kiss for a long time, lying in that treehouse under the stars. It's poetic in a way, a new beginning, in a place that we began once before, a long time ago.

Eventually Nick unrolls his sleeping bag and we lay together beneath it, our legs entwined and our mouths so close were practically breathing each others air. I can't seem to get close enough to him, like I'm afraid if there's a space between us I'll lose him again. Nick tightens his grip on my waist and I wonder if he's thinking it too.

Nick wraps his arms around me, pulling me half on top of him, with my head resting on his chest. And just like that, every inch of me touching every inch of him, I fall asleep.