Chapter 15

Mia

It's Friday morning and I'm exhausted. The dream last night seems to have crippled me. I walk in a haze to the car when Cole picks me up for school. "You look nice" Cole says, leaning over to kiss my cheek. I look down at myself, taking note of the dress I'm wearing, I don't even remember getting dressed. I force a smile on my face. It's probably more of a grimace, but Cole doesn't seem to notice.

"Big game tonight" he says, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. "I'm pumped."

I nod and reply, "when do you leave?"

"Today at lunch" he replies, "they're bussing the team to Phoenix." He turns his head to look at me. "Any chance you'll make it?"

I sigh and look at him, "Cole I can't, I have to work tonight and I can't take Marilee's car from her for that long."

"So come Saturday. We play all weekend. I bet Marley would drive you. It's only three hours away."

I turn and look at him, his face is tense. I take a deep breath and say "I'll try my best, okay?"

"You promise?" He replies.

"I promise"

He fist pumps into the air, "Yes! It will help so much to know my girl is there cheering me on." He smiles, "maybe you guys could stay the night, I have my own hotel room. Maybe Liam can come and get one for him and Marley as well." He has a big goofy grin on his face. I laugh, he's contagious. "Sure, maybe" I reply.

After school I'm walking with Marley to her car when I bring up Coles idea for the weekend. Marley brightens, "A hotel alone with Liam. Yes please!" I laugh and Marley takes out her phone, "I'll run it by Liam but I'm sure he'll be down. What time should we leave?"

Just then I hear someone clear their throat, and Marley and I turn our heads in unison towards the sound. There's Nick, holding a bag in his hands. His face is tinted red, did he hear us? I stammer, "oh hey Nick, wh-what's up?" Marley looks from me to Nick and back again, her eyes narrowing.

Nick hands me the bag in his hands and runs his hand through his hair, "I just wanted to give these back to you. I didn't mean to interrupt". He clenches his jaw and turns his head as I grab the bag from him and look inside. My wedges.

"Oh!" I squeak. "I um, forgot all about these. Thank you." Nick nods his head at me and turning on his heel he walks away.

Im staring after him when Marley chimes in "uh Mia? Care to clue me in on what that was about?"

"Hmmm?" I reply, still looking in his direction. Marley pinches me and I jump. "I admit, new boy is nice to look at, but what is wrong with you? And why does he have your shoes?" she demands.

I turn to look at her, "he gave me a ride home last weekend when Cole left me at Liams." I shrug, "I left my shoes and he returned them." Marley grabs my arm and pulls me toward her car "there is definitely more to this story, get in and spill!" I laugh as I get in the car and tell Marley the full story.
..

Later that night after finishing my shift I take an ice cream to go and drive home. Marilee isn't home tonight so i go straight to my room, plopping on my bed to eat my ice cream and binge some TV. My phone dings and I look over.

Marley: BAD news ☹️ dad heard me telling my mom about our weekend plans and he gave me a big No. he took away my keys! Sorry babe.

I look at the text and to be honest, I'm sort of relieved. Driving 6 hours round trip to watch baseball sounds exhausting right now. Plus I wasn't sure how I was going to handle the hotel room alone situation.

I text her back: bummer.

Then I text Cole: Marleys dad found out about our plans and took her keys. So sorry we can't make it. I'll be rooting you on from here!!

Cole doesn't reply.