Chapter 23

I could feel the men leaving the room behind me. I picked up my dress slightly at the hips so that it was easier for me to walk.
Matt, Erik and Armie sat on the sofas watching my entrance. My eyes wandered to the small bag on the middle of the table that contained some hand guns and knives.

I stopped in the middle of the room and began pacing.
"My entire life, I've had someone else make every decision for me. I was always told what to do, what to say, how to dress! I was my Father's pawn in his game of chess. Kinda worthless, kinda invaluable in the right circumstance and easily sacrificed. For fucking once I just wanted to be in control of my own god damn life!" I yelled turning back around to look at Henry, Max, Markus and Kellan.
"I felt like I was finally free. I had found a job, worked my ass off. I'd gone to University and got my degree. I'd bought my own apartment. But you! You stole that from me! You paid people to watch me at my job, to kidnap me. You've held me against my will, drugged me!" I yelled, slightly pacing in front of the men. My mind racing and my stomach sick. Everything was just overloaded.

I quickly moved forward, grabbing a gun and cocking it. I turned back to the men, pointing it at them which stopped them from making any more ground on me.
"I never wanted any of this. I just wanted to be normal! I wanted to be in control of my own fate!" I pointed the gun at my temple. My heart was utterly racing and I could feel my sweaty palm against the grip.

"Anna. Take a second." Henry said, rounding slightly, I followed his movements so that he wasn't able to get behind me. Max followed suit but went the other way.
"We never meant for it to be this way. We honestly didn't. We tried for years to catch up with you again at this kind of meet, hoping that by your own volition, you'd choose to come with us. But when that didn't happen, and your father made moves we had no choice. You don't honestly think that your father would allow for you to live that life? He was already planning to let someone else take you!" Henry said, stopping and running his hand through his hair.

Tears were running down my cheeks as I stared at him. "I just wanted to be free." I said, tears running from my cheeks, down my neck and into my dress.

Before I knew what was happening. My arm was grabbed and the gun pulled from my hand. More hands wrapped themselves around my waist and I was pulled over and away from the guns. I tried to fight back to the person wrapped me up in a hug, pinning my hands to my chest.

I could hear Henry audibly sigh as he moved closer. He looked tired and scared. I looked to Erik who was now holding the gun I had been, he dropped the magazine out of it and cleared the chamber before putting it back into the bag. Kellan stood behind me, holding me tightly into him. His hands held my wrists tightly against my own chest as he hugged me from behind.

"Anna, that was reckless." Markus said taking a few steps forward and looking down at me. He gently reached forward and wiped away the tears that were flowing down my cheeks.

I looked to everyone else, Armie and Matt were now standing by the sofa, I hadn't realised they any of them had moved until Erik had taken the gun off me. I looked next to me and Max was standing beside Kellan and I.

"Why don't you even care that they kidnapped me?" I asked, trying my hardest to contain the whimpers that escaped every few seconds.
Markus pursed his lips for a split second before stepping back slightly.

"Anna, your father came to me asking for a cleaner. He had done something very wrong. In the process of the job some information came to light about what your father had been doing. The Murdock's became aware and requested a mediation. Your father did not agree to attend. By forfeit he was required to pay compensation, which he again refused. Ultimately, he was required to either make a blood sacrifice or release himself of his organisation." Markus stopped and took a seat. He motioned everyone to sit, and they complied.
Kellan moved me to the middle of the room and continued holding me against him. I looked down at Markus, feeling the tears continue to run down my cheeks.

"When your father offered you, he did so willingly and freely, within the terms of what he was required to do. The Murdock's were happy with his offer, until he refused to hand you over."
"He fought for me?" I asked a small flicker of hope filling me.
"Well no. He wanted to retain you incase he needed another bargaining chip." All hope demonised and I let my body go limp slightly.
"As you were already technically aligned with the Murdock family after his initial bargain, when he continued to do what he was doing, the Murdock's took his organisation as well. They gave your father some money to cover the transition then took everything. So Anna, long story short, I was already aware that by your fathers hand, you were affiliated with the Murdock family, by what means that you came to be with them was of no concern of mine. But you are safe now."

"What are you going to do?" I asked, feeling defeated. Henry walked over to me and pulled me out of Kellan's arms and into his own. He hugged me against him tightly.
"There's limited choices I'm afraid. Max and I need to stay, but this is all a bit much for you. I get that, and I'm sorry that we dragged you here in the first place. You can either stay here in the penthouse and we will leave some people with you until the night is done."
"We can drug you, make this all go a bit faster." Max chimed in.
"Or you can come back out with us." Henry said, obviously staring at Max with a 'the fuck?' Kind of look.

"Give me some alcohol and I will come back out with you." I whispered, knowing very well that I had been seen with the Murdock family and was therefore expected to remain with them for the rest of the night.

Henry squeezed me a bit tighter before moving away. Kellan moved away and returned with a glass of vodka. He stood in front of me holding the glass. Without saying anything, I took the shot glass and downed it. I hissed as the liquid burnt my throat.

Without thinking I walked to the bar and grabbed the bottle and took a swig.
"I also have this." Markus said taking a few steps forward with a small vial.
"It will help calm you down." I nodded and walked up to him. I could feel everyone watching me.
"Open your mouth and lift your tongue to the roof of your mouth." I did as he asked and flinched a little when the liquid squirted under my tongue. I closed my mouth and swallowed. Markus simply nodded before turning and moving away.

"I'm going to have some more to drink. Then we can go." I said walking back over to the bar and grabbing whatever alcohol I could. Armie walked over and moved my hands away. I pouted up at him as I stood staring up at him. Henry walked up behind me and picked me up before sitting me down on the bar stool. He stood behind me with his hands holding onto the bar, his arms either side of my body and his stomach pressed up against my back. I leant back into him, enjoying the feeling of his rough stubble against my cheek.

"I'll have a neat whiskey thanks, and for the lady?" Henry said leaning his mouth to my ear. Tingles ran through my body and I couldn't help the shudder that flowed through me like electricity.
"Anything strong." I said, struggling to catch my breath. Henry chuckled in my ear before grabbing his glass and moving away.
Armie looked up at me as he slid me over a glass. Without thinking I downed the shot. I could feel my body becoming warm and I loved the feeling.
Standing up I stumbled a little, no one seemed to notice. I walked back to the room that I had been in and walked to the small ensuite bathroom. My makeup wasn't ruined, but it wasn't perfect either. I fixed what I could to make it seem as if I hadn't been crying.

A small noise alerted me to someone standing in the door way. I turned around to look at Max.
"You look great." Max said opening up the door a little bit more and walking in.
"Thanks." I said cautiously. Following his movements with my eyes. Max stopped just behind me and looked into the mirror, I looked up at his reflection.

"You're close with Henry." Max said rubbing his chin, I nodded and dropped my eyes to the sink.
"Do you ever think you'll be like that with me?" I could feel tension in the room.
"Maybe if you stopped threatening to drug me, I may feel more comfortable?" I whispered, turning my head to the side slightly. I watched as Max nodded.

"I'd like to kiss you Anna." Max said, gently spinning me around so that I was facing him and leaning against the sink. I looked up at him and bit my lip, nerves flowing through me. I wasn't sure if it was the near death experience or the alcohol giving me liquid courage.
Max lent forward slightly and paused, without thinking, I closed my eyes and closed the distance between us. As my lips touched his, he grabbed my waist and pulled me into him tightly, deepening the kiss. We both pulled away slightly breathless.

"Let's go." Max said, smiling and turning to leave the room.