Chapter 25 - Bliss, Interrupted

Natasha woke in the middle of the night to the sound of her cell vibrating on the cabinet next to her pillow. Half asleep, she picked up the phone and silenced the vibration in order to not disturb Wanda, who she could feel still curled up into her back.

She checked the screen and after wincing initially at the brightness, she was able to see that it was Steve calling, and that it was currently 4am. Carefully and gently, Natasha unwrapped herself from Wanda's arms and tiptoed out of the room, closing the door quietly behind her. As she walked down the hall she answered the phone.

"One sec," she whispered.

Steve remained silent on the other end.

Once Natasha was outside of the house and on the porch, she spoke again.

"Sorry, I needed to get out-"

"We need you back here Nat. I'm sorry," Steve interrupted.

Natasha knew she agreed to come when needed, but still felt disappointed at the idea of cutting their trip short.

"When?" she asked, rubbing her forehead with her free hand.

"Now, ideally. As soon as you can get here."

"What is it?"

"Rumlow."

"Okay. Let me just wake Wanda."

"Understood."

"See you soon Steve."

"See you, Nat. I'm really sorry again."

Natasha hung up the phone without replying. She immediately regretted it knowing that Steve wouldn't have called her if he didn't need her, but at the same time she couldn't help how she felt, and the past few days had been the best she and Wanda had had in a while.

As she quietly returned to the house, she crept back down the hall so as to not disturb the kids, and closed the bedroom door with a soft click. She dreaded having to wake Wanda up, but on turning to face the bed realised she didn't have to, as Wanda was sitting upright, pulling on her boots.

"I could hear you," she said quietly.

"I'm sorry Wanda," Natasha apologised, "He wouldn't have called unless he had to."

"I know."

Natasha thought for a moment, then spoke again.

"You know you could stay if you want?"

Wanda stopped what she was doing and looked up at Natasha, a confused expression on her face.

"Stay here, without you?"

Natasha shrugged, "Steve can make do with just me I'm sure, and you could stay a little longer. I can come back after and take you home with me then."

Wanda thought on it for a minute, "I don't know."

"It's up to you Wanda, but you seem to really like it here and I don't see why you should have to sit in the compound when you could be here."

"I guess that makes sense," Wanda agreed.

"I know it does, it was my idea," Natasha grinned.

Wanda laughed and got up from the bed, "Do you need help packing?"

"I never unpacked," Natasha admitted, "Occupational habit."

Wanda nodded and laughed, not really surprised at Natasha's preparedness.

"Okay," Wanda said slowly, "So you're leaving now?"

"Looks like it," Natasha sighed.

Wanda looked down, "Is it bad that I kind of already miss you?"