"Hey guys settle down, settle down!" Mr. Bates yelled from the front of the bus. "We've reached our destination so if we'd all like to get off the bus..." the doors swung wide open and we all piled off. Jake's hand was in mine and I clutched it tightly.

"Now, we all know what we're doing here, our science assignments. So I will be forming the groups, and I will do it with no complaints." Mr. Bates eyed us up. "Each group will get a compass and map each person is required to write down the contents for this assignment. Each group must reach the end by 4 o'clock on the dot, otherwise it will be a penalty on your work. Stick to the path and you'll be fine" he reached into his pocket and pulled out a peice of paper.

"I hope we're together" I whispered into Jake's ear. Yeah he was the school bully, but I knew the troubles he had at home and I knew that was making a difference at school.

"We will be" he smiled reassuringly. 

"Group one, Mia, Connor, Brody, Nathan and Ellen"

"What!" I heard Ellen shout out. That goth had a nerve, after what she put me through last week. She literally cornered me and lectured me for what felt like an hour about the importance of 'real human beings' and that we need less 'losers like me'.

"Group two, Andy, Jake, Sam, Felix and Jaime" I looked over at my best friend Jaime. She returned my glance and shot me an apologetic look.

"Dammit!" Jake sighed, kissing the top of my head.

"Hey, it's alright we'll see each other after yeah?" I turned my head up to him.

"Yeah" he smiled and pulled away from me reluctantly.

"Group three, Kylie, Amy, Brooke, Josh and Calab" I couldn't believe it. I was put in a group with the worst people ever. Bullies and jocks, and then there was me. I didn't even know what I classified as.

"Hey" Kylie smiled at me, I guess she was the one nice person in this group. Well away from all her cheerleading friends. I smiled back and waited quietly for further instruction.

"Right may I remind you that this is not a race, there is no prize for reaching the end first. This is about your assignments, please come collect you maps and compasses and wait for me at the top of the path."
Amy and Kylie were made to collect the equipment while I was left alone with the bullies who kept pestering me about Jake. We all relocated at the top of the path. "Right is everyone ready?" I shot one more look at Jake and he looked like he was ready to win the 'race'. "Alright off you go"

Jake and Sam were off, while Josh and Calab were fighting over the map. This was going to be a long afternoon.