but at least we have each other

fanart cred: @/skywerse

chapter 1. but atleast we have each other

The fire burned bright, too bright for Georges comfort. The three sat around the pit in the desolate woods and it was darker than Sapnaps raven hair.  

It'd been two weeks since they'd left the comfort of their apartment. They had been running low of food despite rationing it to their best efforts and they could hear the vile noise of walkers coming from the apartment next to them. Now, all they had was two measly cans of chicken noodle soup, heating up over the fire Dream started. But it was enough, the only thing they needed in that moment was each other and maybe some rest.

George didn't pay much attention to his two friends who conversated over the warmth of the fire and the savory taste of food in their mouths after so long. He couldn't find an appetite in him, only thoughts, fears, questions to ask with nobody to answer. He wondered how many people were taken by these monsters, surely they weren't the last ones alive to ask these things. Was his family alive? His other friends? Was anyone coming to save them?

George doubted it. Whatever this virus was that was turning these people into cannibals, bringing them back from the dead, had taken so many people. By the fifth day the streets were empty and the world went eerily quiet--no cars, no traffic, no music from the neighbors, no chatter from the civilians. Everything George used to get annoyed by he now missed. He just wanted everything to return how it used to be, late nights with his friends, not a single care in the world.  

He knew he couldn't keep waiting with the false hope someone was gonna save them and they could continue on their lives. This was their lives.

Sapnap was the first to kill. When you're cornered by the living dead in an empty grocery store, do you really have a choice? 

No, not if you want to survive in this new world. 

"George?" Dream tapped him, gaining his attention, "You need to eat something."

"No, I don't have an appetite."

Dream poured the remainder of his soup into a small container they'd brought along. "It doesn't matter, you need your strength."

"Agreed, speaking of, we need sleep. who wants to take first watch? We can't let our guards down again." Sapnap said, setting the knife he had been carving into the bark of the log they sat on down.

Weapons were the first thing they'd searched for when they got into the outside world. It was more difficult than you'd imagine. They'd only managed to find three knives and a gun on a dead officer, barely any ammo. They didn't know much about these zombies..how to kill them, what attracts them, what happens if you get bit, nothing. Nada. So guns weren't probably the most clever idea for now, but maybe when they, if they, got a silencer. Either way they designated the gun to Sapnap, the texan who could probably handle it better then either of them.

"I'll take first watch, I slept before we left so I'll be okay." Dream offered woth a sad smile. He hated that they had to do this, all he wanted was the familiar feeling of safety and protection to be returned to him.

George nodded, feeling the energy draining out of him just from hearing, "sleep." His spark was getting smaller and smaller with every passing day. Those same days seemed longer now, and the nights grew scarier.

While Dream put out the fire, George and Sapnap got comfortable on the ground. George, being the smarter out of the two layed his jacket down in the dirt. Sapnap however didn't seem to care, he was eager to close his eyes and rest.

He stared up to the dark sky, watching as the smoke and embers rose to the clouds and all the stars. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Dream, looking off of the hill top they resided on.