found you

fanart creds: @/happysugar2018 on twt

chapter 2: found you

"How are you feeling?"

"Like death. My head is pounding." George said with an empty, almost sad laugh, rubbing the side of his head with the palm of his hand.

Sapnap nodded an picked up his bag, "Well, we should get going. If Dream stuck to the plan and is at the highway, the longer we wait the higher the chance he leaves or something happens. Time is something we can't waste."

George picked up the other bag that they had found in the house and used to carry some of their stuff, flinging it over his shoulder.

A sharp pain shot through his nerves when he stood up, he groaned but tried to shake it off quickly as to not alarm or worry his friend.

"What was that?" Sapnap shot him an unknowing look as if George was hiding something from him.

"Nothing, just kinda fucked up my leg with that fall, I'll be fine, let's just go, okay?"

Sapnap hesitantly nodded and started to the door. George followed close behind with a limp, but he'd be okay.

It was still dark outside, but over the horizon trees, dawn was breaking through the clouds and sky, making itself known to both men.

Trees faded out and before either of them knew it, they were approaching the crowded highway.

Cars sat idle in the spots where they had been left by their owners, some with rotting bodies still left in the seats untouched; stuck under the seat belt unable to do anything to move.

George and Sapnap scanned the surrounding area, suddenly a face over dread and hopelessness spread over Georges expression. He looked over to Sapnap for any sort of hope, or possibility he saw Dream.

Sapnap looked back at him and shook his head. A sorrowful frown twisted from his mouth.

He adverted his attention ahead of them, where a twinkle of light flickered in the car towards them, flashing on and off before abruptly stopping.

"Is that..?" George trailed off, his head pounding and his aching body begging to sit down and rest. When he looked to Sapnap to see his smile, all he found was a look of unsureness and wary.

"I don't know. We need to be careful, it might not be," He paused, gripping the handle of nearby car and struggling to open it, "I need you to get in here, if its not him and it's someone bad, you are in no shape to run or fight. If it is him, I'll be right back."

George hesitantly got into the driver's seat, "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"No, but it'll be okay."

The door shut and in the blink of an eye, Sapnap had taken off, leaving their bags with George.

The car was filthy, garbage tossed around and a horrible stench that caused George to hide his nose in his shirt--which didn't smell much better considering there was no where to shower.

He hoped when they found shelter, it was close to somewhere they could bathe. If they were lucky they'd find soap too, he felt disgusting. A bath and a warm bed was all he wanted at this point.

Minutes passed by like hours, it seemed to be taking Sapnap forever. With every passing second, Georges head hurt more and he was still in and out of consciousness. 

He tried to fight back the demanding sleep that was overcoming him. Eventually, it got to the point where he couldn't fight it back, he was out like a light.

(...)

Dream spun the flashlight in his hands from boredom. Thoughts and tiredness clogged his mind as he layed in the backseat of a dishelved van.

He'd already done some handiwork on it, hotwiring it and all. The only thing keeping him here was his friends. They agreed to meet here if anything happened but it's already been 2 hours. Still no sight of them.

He felt more than guilty for leaving them and he prayed to a god he didn't believe in that nothing had happened. That they were okay.

He knew it was a bad idea to go after that bunny, and in the end he didn't even catch it.

Disrupting him from his thoughts was a knock that sounded on the window. It was practically instinct to drop the flashlight and grab his hunting knife.

He could feel his heart beating so fast he was afraid it would explode out of his chest.

"Dream..?" The faint voice called.

Dream sat up and looked out the window. It was Sapnap. But..there was no George. His face which was once happy and hopeful turned sour when he saw his friend was alone.

When he saw the blood on his hands and on his shirt.

He opened the door and stood to his feet, "Where's George..?" He said quietly, looking around Sapnap to see if George was heading over.

Sapnap put his hand on Dreams shoulder, "He's okay, he had a bad fall and isn't doing the best though. We weren't sure if was you, so I left him in a nearby car yknow, just in case.."

Dream sighed. Now that he was assured he was okay, he could take this moment and cherish it with Sapnap. "Its so good to see you."

"I know, but we shouldn't be too long. We can catch up on the road."

Both of the men started towards the car George was in, Sapnap leading the way.

"Yeah speaking of, that car is hotwired. The one I was in. We can take that but we're gonna need to stop and find gas somewhere." Dream said.

"Damn dream, look at you go." Sapnap laughed, approaching the car door and hastily opening it.

There was a few seconds of silence.

"George..?" Sapnap shook him by the shoulder and waited a second for him to wake up.

Nothing.

"You're kidding me, Dream,"

"Yeah, what?"

Sapnap handed him two heavy bags, "Go take these to the car, be careful. I'll get him there."

The two parted as Sapnap wrapped his arm around George, lifting him up. He groaned under the weight but tried to keep his grip strong and tight.

Thank god he hadn't hid too far from where Dream was, otherwise this minute walk could've easily turn into 5.

The van was cleaner than Sapnap had expected, but given Dream had two hours to clean it out, it made sense. There were two rows  behind the driver and passenger seats, in the very back they put the bags of supplies and anything extra they may have been carrying. In the seat infront, they laid George down to catch up on rest.

The next few hours they'd spend with eachother on the road, planning their next moves.