Chapter Twenty-Five

Sometime after breakfast Christina and Emily were working around the house cleaning it up while everyone else was either out on patrol or running Leah and Seth through the ropes of everything. Emily was folding laundry while Christina swept the kitchen.

"Hey Em, can I ask you something?" Emily put the stack of towels on the coffee table "of course you can, what's up?" Christina emptied the dustpan and put the broom away before going over and sitting on the couch next to Emily.

"I was wondering if you knew why Leah is so mad at me. I've barely met her and she seems to just hate me." Emily smiled sympathetically at the girl "she doesn't hate you. She's mad at the world right now. Her dad died, she shifted and not too long ago she was in a serious relationship. Overnight her world seemed to crash down on her. She'll come around eventually, you'll see." Christina nodded "yeah that makes sense, I guess i was just thinking about it too much. Any tips on how to win her over?" Emily laughed "with Leah it's best to just be yourself. Don't try to sweeten her up or anything, she'll see right through it all." "Thanks Em" hearing a bunch of running feet and laughter she said "sounds like some of them are back." Just as she finished saying that, the door flew open and 4 of guys came storming into the house covered in mud.

Emily stood up and put her hands on her hips "guys! We've talked about this, if you're dirty you hose off then come in. Christina just finished sweeping and now you're tracking all kinds of crap in here. Outside now." Christina couldn't help but laugh at the downcast faces of the guys as they mumbled an apology and made their way back outside. "Those boys are gonna learn one of these days, I swear." She heard her phone go off in the other room and excused herself to go check it.

As she picked up her phone she felt a pair of arms go around her waist. "Sam, when did you get home?" Hearing a chuckle that didn't quite sound like Sam, she quickly turned around to see Derek standing there. "What are you doing here?!" She yelled loudly. "Just wanted to come say hi, guess I better run since you've alerted everyone that I'm here." He took off out of the open window just as the Embry and Paul ran in the room.

"Christina, what's wrong, why does it smell like leech?" Embry asked as Paul ran to the window and looked outside. "I gotta let Sam know, I'll be right back." Paul glanced over at Christina "Embry, why don't you stay here with her and Emily." Emily walked in the room and over to Christina and put her arms around her "hey it's okay, you're gonna be okay." Seeing Paul head to the door she called out "have Sam come back here, Paul." He nodded and left the room as Emily pulled Christina to sit on the bed. "Do you need me to do anything Em?" She shook her head "just hang out in here until Sam gets here please."

Before they knew it they heard Sam running through the house to the bedroom and Emily stood up from the bed and followed Embry out the door as Sam came rushing in, eager to get to Christina and make sure she was safe. "Hey I've got you, it's okay." Christina wrapped her arms around him as he pulled her close and picked her up in his arms. "What happened Chris?" She took a deep shaky breath before saying "He's a vampire now Sam. Derek is one of them." Sam stiffened and laid down on the bed while still holding Christina. "We'll get him babe, you don't have to worry." She shook her head "he was in this house, while everyone was here, how are we to know he won't be able to do it again." Sam kissed her on the forehead "that was a fluke, it won't happen again. Until he and the redhead are caught you guys are gonna have someone here with you at all times now."

Christina sat up and wiped her eyes as Sam sat up with her and rubbed her back. He leaned forward and pushed some hair from her face "hey, look at me." She looked over at him as he leaned over to kiss her "I've got you now, everything is going to be okay." He pulled her back to lay down again and she laid her head on his chest as he wrapped his arms around her. He kept rubbing his hands on her back until she seemed to fall asleep.

A short time later there was a soft knock on the bedroom door. It slowly opened and Sam looked over to see Nick standing there "hey, got a second?" Sam glanced down at the sleeping girl and nodded "yeah I'll be out there in a minute. Can you have one of the guys come in and sit in here with her?" Nick nodded and left the doorway. Sam slowly climbed out of bed careful not to disturb Christina as Jared came in "just let her sleep, if you need me for anything just come to the door and call me." Jared nodded and made his way to the chair across from the bed. Sam satisfied left the room to go talk to Nick.

"What's up?" Nick rubbed the top of his head as Sam sat across from him at the table "well we lost his trail when he crossed back over to Forks and since the Cullens are essentially back, we didn't want to cross it." Sam nodded "as long as he left that's all I care about right now. Did he see you guys or seem to make the connection between the wolves and us?" "I don't know, we tried to be discreet but we have no clue how long he was here for or anything outside of him getting in the house." "Yeah I figured as much. Well hopefully he's gonna stay away for a while. I'm wondering if we should talk with the Cullens about this." Nick took a deep breath in "you know I'm not one for working with them, but if it keeps everyone safe, it might be worth it." Sam just nodded "alright anything else?" Nick smiled "nope that was it, go ahead and go back to Christina, I'll keep an eye on things here." "Thanks, I appreciate that."

Sam made his way back into the bedroom and relieved Jared of having to stay there. Climbing back on the bed he pulled her back into his arms. As she rolled over and snuggled in close to him he kissed the top of her head and whispered "I love you." She tightened her arms around him and mumbled back "love you too." He smiled and wrapped her tighter in his arms.