XXXVIII

She wasn't where she should've been

She wasn't where she should've been. Nuna knew that.

Her body felt like it was the middle of the night but her mind and everything else saw a blue sky as her fingertips felt the tall grass around her.

She was wearing a dress. She never wore dresses.

It was long and flowy and danced with the wind as she walked closer to the nothingness ahead of her.

She felt enlightened. Youthful. Relaxed. Everything she strived to be. And yet...

It couldn't be real. No one else was here besides her and the strange force of energy making her walk deeper into the field.

The sky was still blue. Why was it blue? Nuna didn't like that.

She didn't like anything about it all.

She opened her mouth but... nothing.

Nothing?

What the fuck? She couldn't talk.

It was a dream. She knew that. But why did it feel so real?

The girl had no idea what the point of this was. Was it a test? A trick?

It felt too peaceful to be a trick yet too ominous for comfort.

She relaxed her shoulders and continued walking, admiring the trees as tall as the sky, the birds that sang melodies from her childhood, and the breeze that hit her with a passion so—

She started falling. It was sudden, the ground opening up and eating her whole. It was the first time she could hear herself. She was screaming. The dress around her unraveled into feathers and revealed the same thing she wore in the cave.

She hit the ground hard and rolled over, pain shot through her spine but only for a few seconds.

She tried to push herself up but a jabbing feeling on her right hand. Not jabbing. Pressure. Painful pressure. Someone was stepping on her hand.

Her head was bleeding but her main focus was the fact she couldn't see squat.

"This was the worst dream ever," she spoke without realizing.

"Far from it," the entity, that she now realizes is a man, said as he pressed his heel deeper into her hand, making her screech. Her heart sank. She knew that voice.

She had no wand, no strength over him. No matter how powerful Nuna was, she could never overpower You-Know-Who.

"Hello, old friend," Voldemort cooed. "Such a shame we must meet again in such... wretched manners. This is a lovely space you've decided to invite me in."

He pulled his shoe off of her hand, a sigh relinquishing from the both of them. Nuna's arms wobbled as she attempted to get up, only able to get to her knees. The girl hesitantly looked up. It's been a while since they'd interacted. Frankly, when Nuna ran she was surprised not to get a visit from the noseless freak sooner.