Chapter 4- Stranger In The Mirror

Chapter 4: Stranger In The Mirror

Summary: Gwyn gets ready for the party.

Author's note: I hope you all are prepared. Because this chapter is a much longer one.

Gwyn POV

Gwyn couldn't keep her focus to save her life the next morning. Her training suffered due to that fact. Her attacks were slow and she missed obvious blocks as she sparred with Emerie.

She blamed all of this, of course, on her meeting with the shadowsinger the previous night.

Gwyn laid awake in her small cot, replaying their conversation in her head and berating herself for being so forward with her flirtations.

Finally, she gave up on sleeping. Not wanting to disturb the other priestesses, she secretly snuck out of the dormitory and made her way back to the library.

She spent the following hours flipping through books about the customs of the Day Court and the Summer court. If she couldn't sleep, the least she could do was make sure she was prepared.

At some point she must have succumbed to exhaustion. When she awoke she had to delicately peel her cheek off of the weathered pages of the book, The Sun and His People, A Detailed History of High Lord Helion Spell-Cleaver's Continued Reign.

When she looked up she found a concerned Clotho peering down at her, nearly causing the groggy priestess to jump out of her skin. Startled, she quickly apologized and explained what she was up late researching and why.

Clotho seemed excited for her venture and when Gwyn handed her a spare piece of paper and a pen she expressed as much.

I'm very proud of you Gwyn. A personal invitation from the High Lord himself is a big deal.

Gwyn blushed at her praise.

Why don't you take this afternoon off from your duties? Clotho had offered. It looks like you could use some rest.

Gwyn decided to take her up on that offer, besides she didn't think she could face Merrill today. When the High Priestess caught wind that Gwyn was personally invited into Inner Circle dealings, Gwyn wanted to be far away.

Luckily for her, when she went back to her room and laid her head down on her plush pillow, she was out like a light.

_______________

Cassian greeted Gwyn with a small grin and open arms when she made her way up to the roof.

It was late in the afternoon, still a couple of hours till she had to be at the party, but she had agreed earlier that morning to meet Nesta at the River House where she would assist her in getting ready.

Gwyn anxiously smoothed out her priestess robes as she made her way to Cassian; she hoped they would be formal enough since they were the only formal wear she owned. She had even worn them to Nesta and Cassian's mating ceremony.

"Stop fidgeting," scolded Cassian mockingly. "You look nice."

"Back at you." She told him as she regarded his usual attire of Illryian leathers. "But why are you dressed for war when you will be babysitting an infant?" She mocked.

"Have to be prepared for anything." He replied nonchalantly.

"I wasn't aware that babies were that dangerous."

He let out a small laugh. "While babysitting the little guy may prove to be challenging..." He led. "I'm mainly referring to outside forces. This is the first time both Rhysand and Feyre will leave Nyx's side, leaving protecting their precious heir to Nesta and I."