chapter 3: Mysteries

I was awoken by Dave's foot hitting my face for the millionth time. If you think running away from a cat that wants to kill you is hard, try sleeping in the same bed as Dave. He's like a moving machine in his sleep. I groaned and got up in frustration. I barely got any sleep last night due to the clapping thunder. It was one of those rainy nights and just when I thought it was over it just got worse. I was never a big fan of rainy nights. They're dark, mysterious, sad, all sorts of things. I arose on my feet and left Dave. He would usually sleep in the floor or in the couch during our sleepovers but after watching some crazy, ninja scary movie we kind of got scared. Ok, maybe I underestimated how scared we got. We really thought karma was going to get us for spiking a party's food yesterday.

I got up from my bed leaving Dave in the process. Going into the bathroom, I noticed how tired I looked from the reflection in the mirror. My dark hair was laid in a messy ponytail and I had light bags under my eyes. I look like a unicorn. I chuckled at my thought. I'm never watching a scary movie again, and If I do I'm definitely not watching it with Dave. He screams like a dying sheep! After brushing my teeth and heading downstairs I caught my mom on the phone. She's never on the phone and when I mean never I mean NEVER.

"Great, I'm expecting you at five so you better not be late" my mom's voice filled the room and her words caught my attention. I'm expecting you at five? The only time we get visitors is when my aunt Reena runs out of patince with her daycare job. Other than that, Dave's the only person that actually comes here."Mom? Who's coming?" I ask, confusion errupting from my tone. She finally glanced up and took in my presence."it's your cousin kyle. He visited the area a while back and I thought it would be nice to have him over for a bit. It's been a while since you've seen him don't you think?"

huh, kyle. Last time he came here was on my birthday... two years ago."you mean the nerd with the shaved head" he was eighteen last time he visited and he was already bald! What type of teenager shaves his head off? "What are you talking about? His hair grew ages ago and he's not a nerd. You'd be surprised at the new Kyle" my mom spoke shoving a peice of bread in her mouth.

"how do you know, last time he came I was eleven"

"Like I said, he visited the area a few days ago" oh god. This is going to be a long day considering the fact that every time we get visitors the world revoles around them. Maybe Dave and I should just head out...no, that'll be rude. I turn my gaze towards the direction of a yawn coming from the stairs. Dave's messed up ruffled hair was the first thing I noticed. He must have ecountered dad before coming down here. He has a thing for ruffling hair.

"racoon head"

"Shut up Rain"

"Racoony"

"Oh look it's raining maybe your species will appear in the sky and you can go hop hop to unicorn and lepracon land" good one Dave, good one.

"Shut up" I say throwing him a pillow

"Hey! That pillow cost me money. We're having guest over, you should know better"

"Guest? No one ever comes here" Dave spoke with the same uneasy tone I had when I found out.

"Apparently my cousin kyle is coming over"

"Oh"

Picking up the pillow from the floor and placing it on the couch I head upstears to gather up some stuff. If people are coming over then I might as well clean this room. That's something my mom forces me to do every time we have guest but now it has become like second nature to me. Something unfamiliar cathes my eyes and I cringe at the sight.

"Dave!" I yell

"What!"

"Come up here for a sec"