Phone Call

Basil's heart rattled at breakneck pace against his rib cage as he stepped out of the bathroom to deliver the news about his two thousand dollar cheque.

I never asked for this money.

Sunny and Mrs. S threw inquisitive glances at him as he walked out of the bathroom.

"I'm back," Basil spoke, his voice jittery.

What would Sunny and Mrs. S think, knowing that my parents would casually send me a two thousand dollar cheque?

"My parents sent me money," Basil said, displaying the cheque to the two of them. "I—It's a real cheque, right?"

"That looks real alright," Mrs. S replied. "Wow, they just gave you two thousand?"

"I—It's not like I asked for so much money from them," Basil stammered. "They just gave this cheque to me for no reason!"

Mrs. S gave a confused smile. "I guess they want you to enjoy yourself in the city."

"Y—Yeah..."

I still don't understand anything. Why would my parents send me to live here in the first place...?

Sunny wasn't buying any of it. "Basil, I wish your parents would visit you."

Basil tried to avoid making a really anxious face as he turned to Sunny. "My parents are really busy with work all the time. I'm sure they'd visit me if they weren't so swamped by their jobs!"

Or maybe they still wouldn't.

In some ways he knew what his parents were doing.

Why waste time visiting me when they could just give me money to spend so I'd be less of a bother to them?

Sunny's left eye turned down at his plate. "Sorry. I wasn't sure what to really say."

"S—Sunny, it's alright. I know my parents aren't around very much. Two thousand dollars is better than nothing, right...?"

As understanding dawned upon Basil, his brain decided to replay all his flaws. He'd always been anxious, clingy. Sometimes he screamed in front of other people for no reason. No one would want to take care of a child like that.

No one except his grandma.

He had to remember that even the hospitality Sunny's mom showed him was temporary. One day, they'd see the other side of his personality, and he'd be exposed as the worthless piece of trash that he was. He'd be thrown out onto the streets in no time at all.

"Basil...please don't feel bad if your parents don't visit you," Mrs. S said. "Sunny and I will do our best to support you."

But why? I hung your daughter...

Even Sunny seemed surprised by her saying that.

"I know you've had it rough the past few years. I want to help make things easier for you," she went on. "So cash that cheque in and enjoy yourself! Let me worry about everything else."

Sunny looked at Basil intently. "Mom's right. We're here for you. Just let me know if there's anything you need!"

Sunny, Mrs. S, I...

I don't deserve this kindness from you...

I'm sure you'll both understand once you see the real side of me—

Sunny smiled at Basil.

As tense as he felt, Basil couldn't hold back his own smile.

Sunny's smile was brighter than all the stars in the night sky. Basil knew he didn't deserve it, didn't deserve to see a sight so beautiful. Yet here it was all the same; he felt the throbbing in his chest grow a bit calmer.