Marie

The street on the way to school was filled with students. Basil walked at a brisk pace by Sunny's side, the two entering their new high school with anxious hearts along with genuine hopes for the future.

I want Sunny to enjoy high school, get back into the flow of life, and make lots of new friends.

Too bad they weren't going to have any classes together. Basil was two grades ahead of Sunny, so at best they could only see each other at lunch during the school day. He hoped to join some clubs with Sunny so that they could hang out together after school.

All the voices talking around them reminded Basil of sneering crowds and bullies, eager to pick on him. Bad memories from Faraway Town's high school. He'd always been defenseless, an easy target.

Before his anxiety got the better of him, Basil reminded himself that nobody here knew who they were. This was a fresh start, a new life without any baggage.

At the entrance hall in the school, they looked at a map to find their lockers. Both were assigned lockers on the second floor, but in different halls. Basil glanced around at the unfamiliar hallways, doors, classrooms, labs. He soaked in the sights he'd have to accustom himself to for a couple of years if his parents didn't intend on moving him again.

At the hall where they had to part ways, Basil faced Sunny and tried to give a cheerful smile. "I guess I'll see you later."

"Meet in the cafeteria at lunch, right?" Sunny asked, smiling back.

"Yeah."

Just like we agreed upon this morning.

"Good luck, Sunny."

"Good luck with your classes too! Grade eleven must be a lot harder."

The cheerful, beaming smile Sunny made at Basil could melt his heart. It was a parting smile, a farewell that promised reunion. Basil would never be able to understand what he did to deserve seeing such a bright smile.

"Ah—ah, don't worry about me, I'm used to high school."

"Okay, see you later then."

They waved goodbye, and as Basil walked to his locker he realized that he felt better going to a school with Sunny, all things considered. This was much better than Faraway's high school—nothing could match the feeling of being in the same high school as Sunny.

A few glanced at his face as he passed by. He knew that look.

Why is that boy wearing a flower in his hair?

Basil tried to ignore them. He'd get by as long as he kept his head low.

He reached his locker and placed his bag inside, wondering what kind of friends Sunny would make. He took out his notebook for his first class and closed his locker, memorizing the code on the lock. As he walked away he thought he heard a crowd of boys talking behind him, snickering, but he couldn't hear exactly what they said.

While Sunny's morning class was on the first floor, Basil's was on the third. He walked up another flight of stairs until he reached his classroom and took his seat near the center of class.

Half the faces in the classroom stared at him and at the flower pin that he wore.

What do they want with me?

A voice spoke to him.

"Nice flower," the red-haired girl sitting to his left said.

"Thanks," Basil replied honestly.

"You look like a gardener," she continued.

"Really?" Basil spoke, surprised. "How could you tell?"