Donation

Hey Basil,

I understand that you want to talk about a really sensitive issue. I've been thinking about it all this time too and it's not easy for me to approach this issue, much less talk openly about it. I understand that despite everything, you still consider Sunny your friend. I don't want to judge your decisions, and I trust that you know what's best for you. But it's not easy for me to forgive Sunny after everything that he did.

Life is really busy for me right now, so I still need more time to think this over. I understand that this reply won't satisfy your feelings on this matter.

This Christmas, I'll be returning to Faraway to spend some time with my parents. Kel and I plan to invite Aubrey for a reunion party. We'll certainly invite you, too. Maybe this is something we can talk about once everybody is back together. To be honest, we still feel guilty about leaving you alone with Sunny at the hospital. We'd all like to hear you tell us in person about your feelings on this difficult matter, even if it'll be a tough conversation for all of us to have.

Again, I'm sorry that I can't forgive Sunny right now.

Your friend,
Hero

***

Reading this email gave Basil a confusing mixture of emotions. He empathized with how Hero didn't want to discuss such a sensitive topic over email. But without any answers, countless questions still plagued his mind, frustrating him to no end. Reading this reply had only added more.

Sunny had killed Mari; Basil had hanged her body, framing her death as a suicide. Why was it that all his friends seemed unanimous on the notion that what Sunny did was worse and unforgivable, while an act that defaced their very image of her for years should be quickly forgiven? If anything, they both did something horrible and they both deserved punishment or forgiveness together.

I'd be okay even if they forgave neither of us...I really don't like how they're only willing to forgive me.

Rereading the email, Basil only grew more confused. "But it's not easy for me to forgive Sunny after everything that he did." Did Hero also blame Sunny for blacking out the faces in the photo album? Did he blame Sunny for staying locked up inside his house for four years and not coming out with the truth earlier? Was that the real reason he didn't forgive Sunny? Because Sunny made multiple mistakes while Basil only made "one" as far as he cared?

Stabbing out Sunny's eye was also a really horrid thing to do on my part, but...

I don't know if they realize how bad I feel about it.

He raised his eyes at "we still feel guilty about leaving you alone with Sunny at the hospital". What a weird thing to say, leaving you alone with Sunny. It gave Basil the feeling that Hero believed that he'd be in some kind of danger if he was left with Sunny.

Well, understandable, considering what happened that night, but now that Sunny had not only confessed the truth but also apologized for everything he'd done, what danger did he pose to his best friend? Was Hero afraid that Sunny would hurt him? Was he afraid that they'd plan another crime together?

But...I'm the one who roped Sunny into framing Mari's death in the first place.

Shouldn't he be afraid of leaving Sunny alone with me?

Too many questions swarmed Basil's thoughts. He wondered if he could get answers by asking Sunny. Yet, out of consideration for Sunny's feelings, he didn't want to tell Sunny that he'd sent this email to Hero. Hearing footsteps, he quickly closed the email and logged out as Sunny returned to the room.