Chapter 3

“putrid pineapple or poison apple?”

asmodeus asks as he puts whipped cream on the stack of pancakes. he has to stand on a chair all the while because the stack is too tall for even a demon to eat.

“both.” beelzebub grunts as he puts the bookshelf back in its place, which had fallen down during the ‘fight’. he remembers the sound it made when he was tucking mammon into bed. the books had fallen on satan.

the blonde demon in question is collecting the books. some of the covers have been torn and creased—much to the chagrin of the bookworm. he is quiet as he inspects the cover of one —the book is rendered useless as its pages have been torn. another precious manuscript lost.

tossing a glance at leviathan, asmodeus gives a nod of approval when he sees the aquatic demon cut the fruits asked.

his gaze is concentrated on the chopping board, with the same focused look that was seen when he played on his computer.

lucifer hadn’t come out of his room, choosing to instead stay there for perhaps a day or two. typical lucifer, but not a typical day.

“ ugh, gag me with a spoon.” belphegor complains, still sulking at the fact that he was made to lay out the table. why can’t i chop some fruits or something? he had asked satan. and the blonde had sighed before saying that he would fall asleep while cutting. he isn’t wrong though, belphegor concludes when he almost drops a plate in his drowsy state.

the meal was eaten in silence, with no one speaking a word— just the clanking of knives and forks on plates, and tension in the air. because of what happened just hours ago. screaming, sobbing and shouting.

the chair screeches with a sound that makes everyone flinch, beel gets up to gather his used dishes and puts them in the sink.

“i’m going to the gym.” he speaks, even before the question of his appetite has been asked—because beel ate only thirty pancakes today instead of his usual sixty.

“ wait—” leviathan blurts out, but is stopped by belphegor. “let him be.” he advises, and levi’s gaze turns back to his unfinished plate of pancakes.

he briefly wonders if this too is some sort of weird twin telepathy thing—to know when the other is conflicted or angry, to be so intuitive, and a small spark of jealously brews inside him—because he was never able to be as close to mammon as beel and belphie were.

but it was his fault in the first place, wasn’t it?

after the table has been cleared, belphegor and satan stay behind to clean the kitchen, while leviathan slinks back to his room and asmo to take a bath. so much grease and heat will damage my hair! he had claimed, but the brothers knew it was his way of introspection—because asmo would normally refuse to bathe in a bathtub not as big or lavish as his own.

mammon would be asleep for a good hour or two more because he didn’t get any proper sleep the previous night and also because he was drunk.

“ what are you doing? mammon won’t be awake for a good hour.”

satan questions belphegor, who jumps a bit at having been caught and shoots him a glare for almost making him drop the plate of pancakes.

" it's not for him." belphegor mumbles, and satan raises an eyebrow. " for whom then?"

" lucifer."

satan, who had been leaning against the doorframe, stands up straight at that.

" he made a mistake." belphegor speaks as he arranged the tray. satan remains quiet, because it's not everyday that belphegor would act soft towards the eldest brother.