Chapter 9: The Rejection

Disclaimer: I am well aware that Karna was, in fact, Drona's student. However, the following arrangement has been depicted as such because I don't think a commoner would be easily allowed to learn beside royalty, royal charioteer's son or no. Also, the words Drona says are a gist from the conversation between the two in the KMG Mahabharat when Karna seeks to learn advanced weaponry from him. You may find that at (I have no idea why this thing is not working, but anyway):

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/

Read and enjoy!!

Looking after horses, Radheya decided, was the most tedious job he would encounter in his life, especially if the horses kept snoring. He debated the virtues of a long nap on the hay, but decided against it. Who knew when some lazy lout would poke their head in and raise a hue and cry? He did not want to annoy his father. It was after a good hour of sitting around and doing nothing productive when he heard a gaggle of hushed voices carried by the wind. Minutes later, muffled footsteps sounded on the gravelly path leading to the stables and a group of boys entered, dressed in simple saffron dhoti and an angavastra slung over their shoulders. A quick count revealed them to be thirteen in number. As they approached, Radheya recognized at least six of them from the squabble at the aashram a week ago.

Princes then. Absolutely great.

The leader, the one who had tried to hit 'Bhim' and had got royally thrashed, marched right up to the stall he was sitting in, and above which hung the bunch of keys to each stable door. Radheya was incredibly glad for the short door which concealed him from view.

The boy took a step back and leapt into the air, trying to hook his hand onto the edge of the short door. Twice he landed flat on his haunches, until the third time he hung on. Radheya watched with bated breath as the kid scrabbled on the wood on the other side, climbed onto the top, turned to jump in, and seeing him let out a bloodcurdling shriek and promptly landed on his bum again, this time on Radheya's side. He could not help the little snort that escaped without permission.

"THIEF!! GUARDS!!", the lad accused shrilly as Radheya fought to control his giggles.

"I'm not," he told him solemnly, after he had ceased sniggering, although he was sure he was still blue from trying not to laugh.

"Why should I believe you?"

"I'm here in my father's stead, Your Highness."

A look of utter alarm rushed through his eyes. One of the boys outside knocked on the wood and questioned uncertainly, "Bhrata?"

"Hush!!", the boy hissed and turned around, the alarm gone and now replaced by caution, "You are Adhirath chacha's son?"

"I am, Prince."

The boy bit his lip, scratched his chin in a gesture clearly imitated from someone older, and then finally mustering up a large amount of counterfeit authority said, "Well, I, as the Crown Prince of the Kuru Empire, and as the son of Emperor Dhritarashtra, sovereign ruler of all vassal states north of the Vindhyas, command you to let out seven horses from the stables and saddle them for my brothers and myself."

Radheya stared at him as heavily as he could. The Prince tried not to squirm. Finally, taking pity, Radheya said quietly, "I cannot allow you to get a ride, Your Highness. My father has forbidden it."

"It is an order from the Crown Prince."

Radheya repeated slowly, "I cannot disobey my father." And then, mostly to make him more flustered, but also to make sure that he had no such authority, Radheya added, "Should I go ask him?"