Chapter 10: Nightfall Part - I

Disclaimer: This chapter does not claim any reference to the original Mahabharat. It is a sequence inspired from the T.V. serial Suryaputra Karn. This however, has a slightly greater historical basis than the one in SPK.

______________________________________________________________________________ 

When he snuck into the house for dinner, his father gave him a sharp look, but surprisingly enough, left it at that. Shon raised his head from his meal, took one look at his defeated countenance, and promptly began chattering with their father, talking about everything and nothing. Radheya was incredibly grateful for it. When his mother sat down after serving them all, she caught his eye and gave a questioning look. However Radheya stubbornly refused to share the cause of his agony. It was only after he had settled in with his brother tucked to his side in their meagre bed that Shon spoke up, his voice a quiet murmur, "Bhaiyya? What happened? "

Radheya stiffened and did not answer. Shon understood. He scooted closer to Radheya and snuggled into his arms, nosing around his neck, tickling him. Radheya let out a huffing sound that could or could not have been a laugh. They curled together and fell asleep. For the first time that day, Radheya felt at peace.

__________________________________________________________________

Nothing really happened after that. Radheya hid Kripa aacharya's letter of recommendation in the farthest corner of their hayloft bedroom and went fooling around with his friends. Ashwatthama tiptoed around him for several days, aware of what his father had said, until Radheya snapped at him and told him to suck it up, and accept that he was not responsible for his father's conduct. Ashwatthama had said, with an inordinate amount of gratitude, "Thanks." And Radheya had promptly shattered the moment by proclaiming, "If your father ever did something good, mark you, that doesn't count in your favour."

Neither of the twins, nor Eklavya knew what had happened, though the odd glance thrown his way when they thought he wasn't looking, made him doubt the statement. Only Shon behaved like he had always done, looking up to him with equal amounts of deification, admiration and (though Radheya would never admit it) exasperation. The days blurred into one another and everyone went about doing what they always did, Ashwatthama helping his father, the twins their mother, and Eklavya trying to keep his tribe together as Shon goofed around. Indeed, the only thing of note that happened after the incident was that the hopeful face wanting to be the world's greatest archer tried becoming the world's best charioteer.

Another development was Radheya's rising resentment of Prince Arjun. He often hung around the Princes' residence in the early morning, when they would just finish their prayers and file in to complete their chores, shower, change, and gather equipment for the day. The very reason for his intrusion was Suyo, with whom their little group had an unlikely friendship. In these visits however, he would often see Prince Arjun, Drona's supposed favorite, and bitterly watch him gain mastery over different facets of archery. Ashwatthama would sometimes sigh and poke him, unhappy with his obsessive rivalry and disdain towards a boy he had truly never met. Radheya would be momentarily remorseful, and then be back at it again. Intellectually, he knew it was not Arjun's fault that Drona was... well Drona, but to see another child younger than him attain so easily what was unavailable to him burned his already broken heart. But then Suyo or one of his brothers would say something and he would forget about it, fondness flushing through him at the sight of the bright young faces.

_______________________________________________________________________

A year had passed since the forgettable incident (Radheya refused to call it rejection) with Drona. Now he sat under the noonday sun, cheeks burning with humiliation, as Drona and Kripa impassively watched him from the sidelines, boring into him with their gaze. As if to further his torment, Soumya sat atop his chariot, the very boy who had taunted him the day he had gone to get the letter from Kripa aacharya. He could feel the smugness radiating off him. Shon squirmed in the driver's seat in the chariot next to him, sending him concerned looks from time to time. Radheya ignored all of them, instead scanning his surroundings.