26. Bargaining with a Tyrant (Oh and the Princess)

"WAIT!" Percy came sliding into the room. It wasn't his finest entrance, but he didn't really have time to make a good one. Riptide was tucked away in the folds of his Earth Kingdom robes by his hip, held on using the cap. He really hoped he wouldn't have to use it with so many benders in the room.

"Percy!" Toph and Sokka cried.

Both of them were surrounded by a couple of Dai Li and lying on the floor, unmoving. The demigod also spied his two other friends in the room. They looked excited to see him, which he appreciated, although he definitely could tell they were trying to hide it from Azula and everyone else in the room.

They needn't have worried. The princess was quite focused on Percy. Azula looked tentative, but happy. It was odd. Like when Annabeth used to have a plan go exactly how she wanted, yet didn't want to have to make the plan in the first place.

A large group of what Percy assumed was most of the Dai Li had come into the room. The leader, presumably this Long Feng he'd heard of, walked in behind them. He wasn't too surprised to recognise him as the robed man who'd been watching him on the wall just after the drill. It made sense to Percy. Clearly, Long Feng thrived off of knowing everything that happened in the city he controlled. The Dai Li spread themselves around him, encircling the demigod. It was a trap, but that wasn't at all surprising. He couldn't see Fong in their midst, so he hoped that he'd given as many people the warning as possible.

"I've got the generals and the king, waterbender. You lose."

Percy wasn't really paying attention to Long Feng, instead focusing on the dark circles under Azula's eyes. They were very similar to the ones she'd had fighting him at the drill. But now, Percy saw Azula raise her eyebrow at the statement by the head of the Dai Li. It seemed there was some unresolved power struggle for the throne with how the princess didn't appreciate how the man had said 'I've'. Based on how Fong had reacted in fear of her, and not Long Feng, it was a power struggle the man didn't realise he was about to lose.

"Now, now." Azula began. "Long Feng, I believe you were in your cell, were you not?" She had barely disguised glee at putting him in his place, but as soon as she turned to Percy, he saw the hesitancy for this to happen in front of people she needed to impress for control.

"I do believe that we could strike a bargain for the waterbender here." She gestured to Percy.

Oh, that's just wonderful. I love that. Wait, are we bargaining for me, or we bargaining with me? You aren't being clear Azula.

"A bargain wasn't part of the plan, princess." Long Feng said, through gritted teeth.

Toph seemed to be slightly amused by the miscommunication, although Percy could sense her discomfort. Her chi is blocked, of course! So it's difficult for her to see! He channelled some water to stream around her, giving her a gentle prodding to her muscles. It was really the only thing to do with that type of attack. Attacked by acupuncture, pretty much.

"Not your plan, no. Which is unfortunate, isn't it." Azula continued on before the older earthbender could get a word in. "Now, I'm willing to let the two of them go, as long as they promise to never come back." She said, patronisingly, though Percy could almost see through her mask.

It got a scandalised gasp from the head of the Dai Li, but Azula blatantly ignored him.

"You'd leave without your little girl friend, call it a bargaining chip for the Avatar's compliance. But the other waterbender stays," Azula turned her golden gaze to that very same waterbender, "voluntarily."

Toph and Sokka both started claiming that they'd never do that. They could never trust her, but Percy was too busy staring down Azula. His time with Lupa had aided him, but even before her, with what he'd been through, Percy was an intimidating figure to stare down.