CHAPTER 4 - LEXIE

Use my phone! Accept my apology! Can we try again? I swallowed the nonstarters and blew out a grumpy sigh

Use my phone! Accept my apology! Can we try again? I swallowed the nonstarters and blew out a grumpy sigh. What was the use? Why would Vic want to talk to me after the way I had ghosted them? Being the bad guy sucked.

I flumped to a chair at a table in the shade of the overhanging deck. I had been on the way back to the room to tell Devon that the crew couldn't move us to a larger suite. However, I needed to vent first. I jabbed the Facetime button on my phone, and I waited for my best friend to answer. "This is a disaster!" I wailed.

"You haven't been on the ship a day. Calm down." Breanna's masked face filled the screen. Amusement colored her voice.

"Girl, Devon thought I was bothered by having to spend two weeks alone with him. So, he invited a friend to take your spot. The friend is Vic Diwata!" I whisper-screamed.

Breanna's laughing eyes widened. "Shut the fuck up! Did he really?!"

"Yes, yes!" I sobbed. Breanna had heard enough about my old flame over the years to understand my dilemma.

"That is wild! What is with your luck, girl? You're not over Vic, but you're too into Devon for y'all to be crammed together for two weeks like this. Do they know?"

My eyes smarted as I shook my head. I felt déclassé for wanting them both. "And I'm interrupting you at work. Where are my manners? I'm sorry, Bre—"

"Honey, I'm on my lunchbreak. Let's figure this out."

"I told you I couldn't go on this cruise without you." My humorless laughter morphed into a groan. "I have feelings for Devon, but there isn't a closet big enough to hide my attraction to Vic, which is why I ghosted them. I can't be myself with them here. I mean, what am I? Am I bi? Am I pan? I can't be that! Because my parents—"

A woman swishing by in a brightly colored skirt backtracked. "Did I hear you say you want your fortune told?" She juggled a tacky crystal ball from hand to hand.

My forehead crinkled at the interruption. Her irises were two different colors—gorgeous, but kind of weird. "No, thank you," I replied, catching Bre's eye on the phone. "Anyway, I can't, okay? I don't want anyone to get hurt, especially not my parents."

"Sweetheart, what do Craig and Melinda have to do with this?" My best friend scrunched her eyes, peeved. I knew that look and what would come after it. "When you say you can't be yourself, you mean you can't be the version of yourself that you fake for your parents' approval with Vic there. The real you will come out. Well, maybe Devon needs to see the real you. He'd love you! Look, I get that you want to keep your parents happy, but you do NOT have to live your life for anyone except you."

"Go best friend, go! Bestie understands the assignment. Your Day-One should always remind you to step into your power. Tuh! Where are my manners?" The woman spoke with a New Orleans dialect. She took a seat across the table from me and dug out a card that read, "Diviner to the Stars," name-dropping Sza, Kehlani, and Chloe Bailey. "Samentha, pronouns she/her. Nice to meet you. Are you sure you don't have a question for your guides to answer?"