010 - sᴛᴀʀs

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

"It's been months since I last saw you, (Y/N)."

My body fell limp into her fragile, bedridden form.

Her voice... it felt as though it were soothing water coating my tongue. The same feeling in which you'd feel after obtaining even a drop of liquid after being dried and dehydrated for days on end.

A wash of relief swept over my mind, a slight shake beginning to take over as I breathed her in whilst we held each other. It took everything in me to control the tears from flowing out of me.

She was here. She was safe.
She hasn't left me yet.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

I must've said the two words aloud, for my sister pulled away from her ever-most gentle hug.

"What are you thanking me for?" she asked with genuine curiousness. I had to swallow due to the tiniest smile that appeared upon her lips as she gave her head a tilt, observing me with the same eyes I'd always adored.

I shook my head, turning around slightly. "It was nothing," I mumbled sheepishly, peeking back at her. "I've missed you so much." My voice was barely over a whisper.

Her kind eyes crinkled in a gentle smile—and it was only then that I came to notice how little effort she was able to put into everything now. Everything she did now... I didn't know how else to explain it.

"I miss you more," she responded, her voice caressing me with an imaginary hug. Even her touch... her touch had been so soft, so ghostly. As if she were already drifting away with each passing minute.

I sat on her bedside, careful not to disrupt her careful form. "You're sure you're feeling okay?" I asked, my tone altering itself into the tone I only ever used with her.

She chuckled ever so slightly. "Yes, yes. I feel fine—only a little tired."

I stood up before she could even finish speaking. "I'll leave you to get some rest—" I began, but my sister cut me off with a silent shake of her head.

"Don't be silly. You just came home after months of work, do you really expect me to sleep when I finally get the chance to see you again?" But even as she said her words with such simplicity and ease, the dark circles under her gorgeous eyes were more prominent than the last time.