017 - ᴡᴀʀᴍᴛʜ

━━━ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ━━━

"See? It's not so bad," I teased, watching him chop up whatever vegetables I could find around here. Surprisingly enough, he was actually quite skilled with the knife—and though we never trained with real weapons, he appeared quite natural with it.

"We could be training instead of this, you know," he mumbled, slicing faster in a way that I knew meant he wanted to get this over with.

"Unfortunately, we can't train every second of every day—as much as you'd like to," I said, taking his freshly chopped items to put into the pot. The makeshift fire acted enough like a stove as I stirred the remnants, adding whatever flavours I could find into the mix. Hopefully, this soup would be satisfactory enough.

"Plus," I added. "A part of training is training the soul, is it not? Cooking—and food itself," I said, walking over to him once more after stirring, "is a way of healing the soul."

He tsked, handing me what he could.

My lips tugged into a grin at his broodiness. "Just consider this a part of training, yeah?" After giving him a swift pat on the back, I returned to kneel in front of the pot hanging above the fire.

"You had all this equipment and never put it to use," I admitted with exaggerated sorrow.

Sighing in disappointment, I kept my eyes transfixed onto the soul before me, stirring mindlessly. Knowing Akaza had finished his part, he made his footsteps known to me while he made his way over.

Crouching down next to me, he stared at my creation as well, carefully follow the movements of my stew.

I side-eyed him, one of my brows raising. "Can't you at least admit that it smells good?"

He glared at me. "No, I can't," he stated simply.

"How boring." Another sigh escaped me.

A smooth laugh left his lips. "Your scent is much more distracting, to be quite honest." His tone changed; I had to try and hide the way my body stiffened at his claim.

We both fell silent, and I could almost see him grinning. Though, still, I kept my eyes trained on the soup before me.

"Is it now," I breathed, my voice betraying me.

He hummed in agreement, the floorboards creaking as he moved in closer.

"Very much addicting," he whispered more or less to himself. I froze, feeling his attention close on me.