Summer Time

After my appointment with the Orthodontist, my mother took me to the DMV. The time had come to take my driver's test after months of having my learner's permit. Now I didn't have to depend on anyone for rides anymore. My grandparents were driving my car down from Seattle in a couple of weeks, then I was set for the summer.

Having a car required gas, meaning I needed a job. We found plenty of signs for hire in town. Turns out the local ice cream shop needed a part time opener. Ready for this fun opportunity, I filled out an application.

After two days they called me back and asked me to start immediately. Everything felt pretty easy minus the whiny children and indecisive customers. Bound to see my classmates at some point, what began as formal greetings became first name welcomes.

Isaiah surprised me one day with a visit. Word got around that I was working there. When I asked how he was doing, he said just as crappy as the last time I saw him, but he stayed a while. He even kept me company as I wiped the tables and restocked the napkin dispensers. When my shift was over, we took the conversation down the street and into the Chinese restaurant on the corner.

"I know we used to be close, and lately we haven't been, but do you mind if I kind of vent on you?" He looked frustrated.

"Of course you can. What's up?"

"There's a girl I was kind of seeing for a while, it's just complicated. I thought she was out of my league at first, she's not even my type. . . anyway, I don't want to get back together with her. We've broken up a few times, but then she calls and I come running to her."

In the midst of Isaiah's vulnerable hour, I recognized his confusion. I was always in a sea of indecision. I got a little jealous, wanting desperately to know who this tramp was. Who had stolen my chances of being with him? Regardless, I was glad he came to talk.

"I know I shouldn't be with her but. . . Am I crazy?" He asked.

"No. I found myself in a similar situation but I can't tell you what to do. You have to make that choice, and the longer you wait the harder it gets. At least that's what I'm always told. Are you going to tell me who she is?"

"I'd rather not." He smiled nervously, "You wouldn't know her."

I never thought to consider she might be an older woman. That would explain her manipulative behavior. Or maybe she was a college student, in Jordan's class, that's why he left the party so disappointed. Truth be told, I wasn't the only one keeping secrets around here.

We finished our chicken fried rice and Isaiah offered me a ride home. Summer time meant late nights, tv binges, sunburns and more bonfires. But in reality, Izzy was unavailable. I thought she saw me as a bore. Later on, I found out she was going on several dates. The lack of parental control at their house wasn't shock, how could they keep an eye out when they were always at the office.

On the bright side, I saw less of Jordan. It was safer that way. Recently, when Izzy wasn't looking, he'd throw a seductive glare my way. Like a vulture, waiting and lurking for a moment alone. Izzy continued oblivious to the naked incident between her brother and I. With less time together, our bond wasn't as strong as before.

"I got us some hot dates for tonight." Izzy blurted out on the phone once I picked up.

Oh joy, no more 5th wheel! "Who are they?"

"They're friends of Jordan, I met them at the party."

Great! I couldn't wait to meet these guys and their excellent standards. I'm sure but I had a gut feeling I couldn't ignore. After numerous weeks since my last sleepover at Izzy's house, I started to missed it. As long as I locked the door during my showers, I'd be alright.

Jordan honked the horn and Izzy shouted to hurry up. Was he the 5th wheel or did he have a date as well? I answered my own question when I saw the unfamiliar face in the passenger seat. Apparently our dates were meeting us over there.

If I thought I looked pretty enough, Izzy was always the upgrade. Walking up to the entrance of the movie theater, Izzy called dibs on the dark haired cutie while I got stuck with the tall blonde. Dang it! She always gets her way! Luckily, Keith was a nice guy and fun to talk to. But no sparks.

Jordan sat in the row in front of us with his date, while Izzy and I sat together sandwiched between the guys. We voted on a thriller and I kept still till the jump scares, but my girl had her claws out from the start, all touchy feely. Jordan, way ahead of the game, had his arm around his date and spent the whole time whispering to her. I almost threw up when they started kissing.

I thought I would throw up once he started kissing her, it made it impossible to focus on the movie no matter how dark it was. My body stiffened when I caught Jordan staring back at me during the act. He did this on purpose? Pig!

After the movie we drove to Izzy's house and I faked being ill so I could lay down in her room. I felt tired and sure if I closed my eyes I wouldn't wake up. Being alone brought memories of Aaron. I kept staring at his texts and wanted to write him so badly. I knew what I saw, and I never got an apology for being led on. Laying in the dark with a tiny lit screen, I typed.

I was hurt. I saw you with another girl when I thought we were something more than just a game.

Just then a light bulb when off. All I wanted was to see his face again, and what better place than to look him up on Face Book. I jumped off the bed and on to Izzy's chair and computer. Shaking the mouse, her desktop popped up and I clicked the browser but realized it was already logged on.

I saw a funny picture of us taken not too long ago at the mall, detouring, I scrolled through the other pics. I found her albums and two were marked as private. Observing closely, though I should've stopped, I'm glad I didn't.