The Bi-ble: Part II

THE GAY GOSPEL

You guys, when I started reading the Bible, I was expecting to find only homophobic screaming about how everything that is fun is a sin. I did NOT expect to get attached to some funky gay couples and their tragic and terribly dramatic fates. Of course those relationships are often only referred to as friendships, and hey, that's completely valid, but let's be real. When was the last time you guys confessed your love to a friend and then kissed them on the mouth.
And you know what the best part is? It starts with lesbians.

Ruth and Naomi
The book of Ruth is very, very short. But so worth it. It's the story of a widow called Naomi, who has two sons and two daughters-in-law, Orpah and Ruth. Then the sons die and a famine breaks out. The three women decide to go to travel to another region to find work, but Naomi urges her two daughters-in-law to go back to their families, where they will be provided for. The one daughter-in-law, Orpah, agrees and leaves Naomi. "But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me." When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her." (Ruth 1.16-18)

Okay, you may say

Okay, you may say. That's passionate.

But you don't know yet that this passage is the most popular Bible passage to be used FOR WEDDINGS. For literal, heterosexual (and, these days, also homosexual) WEDDINGS. This puts a completely different emphasis on these verses! They are about romance because society made them about romance!

Naomi and Ruth travel to a different city together, where Naomi sets up Ruth with one of her relatives, a man named Boaz, who will provide for her. They marry, Ruth gets pregnant and she and Naomi raise the boy together.

In most interpretations, their relationship is read as a platonic mother/daughter-bond. It's just the cultural emphasis of Ruth's words that makes them an example of how queer love blends into the Bible and how the Christian church has accepted a love confession spoken by a woman to another woman for centuries.

David and Jonathan

Guys buckle up, these two know no subtlety, and I am THIS close to writing a fanfic about them.

You already know David. He's that guy who killed Goliath. That guy whom Michelangelo sculpted.

But before David became a war hero and a renaissance sex symbol, he was just a shepherd's boy and, coincidentally, also subject of a prophecy that says that he will be king one day. Problem: there already is a king. King Saul, though, has angered God, and is therefore plagued by evil spirits. To sooth his mind, he hires David to play the lyre for him.

Problem Number Two: Saul has a dashingly handsome son who is going through puberty. And Prince Jonathan is DELIGHTED to see this cute farm boy entering the Royal Court. Honestly, it's love at first sight.