-12-

JINX

It was the next morning and the group were all sitting around a small fire eating breakfast. Jinx closed her eyes for a second revelling in the peaceful moment. This collection of people that she would never have met if not for the end of the world had come to feel like a family to her and she was grateful for every single one of them.

When she opened her eyes she saw a look pass between Glenn and Dale, before the younger man stood up and called everyone's attention to him. "So..." he paused, "The barn's full of walkers" he spat out. Everyone went silent and just stared at him as they processed this information.

The whole group walked over towards the barn and Shane peered through some gaps in the wood to see them moving around. Jinx shivered in the warm morning air. As an argument started over what to do, she wrapped her arms around herself.

Shane suggested Fort Benning again and Rick said they couldn't go, Carol reminded him that her daughter was still missing. Shane made it clear that he thought Sophia was long dead and Rick managed to stop a fight breaking out between Daryl and Shane before it fully got started. He told the group that he'd speak to Hershel, which was when it came out that Dale also knew.

"Hershel sees those things in there as people", Dale explained to the group, "Sick people. His wife, his stepson". Jinx put a hand up, covering her eyes in frustration, Shane started yelling again and the doors of the barn started to rattle as the walkers inside tried to get to them and the group started backing up towards the farmhouse.

Jinx was walking over to the stable as Daryl came out, he was holding himself differently and she could tell his side was hurting him. She opened her mouth to say something, but he just stormed straight past her, so she didn't bother. She rounded a corner and saw Carol picking up a saddle from the ground, tears in her eyes. She took the saddle from the other woman and put it away before turning back to give her a hug.

She looked Carol in the eye and told her "We're not going anywhere until we find your little girl, I promise you that", The other woman just shook her head and Jinx understood that even she was beginning to lose faith now. Carol gave her hand a squeeze before heading back towards the camp and Jinx reached out to stroke one of the horse's noses.

With the morning's revelations she wasn't needed anywhere else, and since no one wanted her opinion on the matter, she thought it best to stay out of the way. Being around animals calmed her. She looked around until she found a brush and let herself into one of the stalls.

___

Everyone congregated around the farmhouse, Andrea and T-Dog were looking for Rick, they should've left to go look for Sophia hours ago, but he'd disappeared somewhere with Hershel. Shane appeared with the bag of guns and started handing them out, he'd made some kind of executive decision to allow them to carry guns. Jinx shook her head and folded her arms as he tried to shove one into her hand.

Across the field Rick and Hershel appeared with walkers on the end of poles and the group ran towards them, all hell breaking loose.

Shane was on a rampage, making a speech about how the walkers had killed Amy and Otis.

"Let me ask you something?", He yelled to the vet, "Could a living breathing person walk away from this?". He fired three shots into the chest of the walker Hershel held. "That's three rounds to the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that? Why is it still coming?". Two more shots. "That's it's heart, it's lungs. Why is it still coming?" More shots.

"Shane, Enough!" yelled Rick.

"Yeah, you're right man. That is enough." This time he walked closer and fired a single round into the walker's skull.