Not Unbearable

"AAAHG!"

A sudden scream erupted from outside as the bus lurched to a stop. The bouncing mint green haired girl a few seats in front of me shot excitedly out of her seat.

I sighed, pulling myself from whatever daydream I stuck myself in, 'well I guess we're here... yaaaaay...'

I grumbled as I stood up and made my way to the front of the bus right behind a taller curly haired brunette boy wearing a yellow turtleneck. Yellow seemed to be the theme of this camp as we were tasked with wearing a yellow shirt to help identify as a camper at Camp Campbell. I wore a simple yellow t-shirt. Easy enough.

"Kids are here." The hooked hand bus driver mumbled as the doors swung open.

"Ha!" The green haired girl exclaimed as she jumped out of the bus in front of a kid who wore a blue hoodie, even though it was summer, and smelled the air with an eager smile. "Oh yeah, smell that nature. Oh that's the stuff."

The curly haired boy in front of me stepped off the bus and I followed, the dirt of the forest crunching under my shoes.

An adult male with red hair stood up from in front of the bus and shook his throbbing head. The bus must've hit him. He's got some tough bones.

"Ugh." The adult groaned before smiling at the green haired girl. "Well, hello there little lady! You must be Nikki! Or are you Y/n? My name is David, your camp—" Suddenly "Nikki" bit David's hand as he held it out as a greeting.

David screeched in fear, shaking his arm up and down in vain attempts to get Nikki off. I stepped back a bit, eyes widening.

"Um, excuse me?" The curly haired boy timidly spoke up. "Is this science camp?"

Nikki released her grip on David's hand. "No, silly! This is adventure camp. Ad-ven-ture? My mom said so. Unless she was lying—again." Relatable. She turned back to David. "Sorry about that hand by the way. I was just exerting dominance. You know how it goes." She waved off.

The curly haired boy and I approached the group cautiously. I strayed a bit away, not wanting to get bitten.

David chuckled nervously. "And you must be Neil! And you're Y/n?" I nodded my head at his question. "Great! Well, you three will be happy to know that Camp Campbell is—AHH!"Suddenly the bus lurched forward and knocked David to the floor... again.

I stepped back and peeked inside of the bus. There in the driver's seat was the kid in the blue hoodie attempting to drive the bus, grumbling angrily under his breath, unable to reach the pedals correctly. He was rather short.

The bus driver from before stepped into the bus and used his hook hand to grab the kid by the hood. "Not today, child. The only one driving this bus is me." He set the kid down next to David who somehow already recovered from the hit. Seriously. Bones of steel.

"Thank you, Quartermaster." David smiled at the hook hand man as he stood straight.

"You're on your own now." Quartermaster said menacingly. He pulled a bottle of... was that poison? It had a skull label on it. "Goin' on break. Be back for the bus at noon." He walked away.

David squinted down at the hoodie kid. "Max, you are not leaving my side for the rest of the day."

Max glared at the redhead. "We'll see about that, Camp Man."

Neil and I approached the angry Max. "What was that?" I asked, confused on how my already swirling day just got even more confusing.

"Yeah, what's your deal?" Neil asked, curious as well.