Chapter 73

Seth POV:

I can't get away from the pain because fears cloud my eyes of what's happening around me. The tears have dried, but my eyes are wet. My body burns like coal as the pain glides through my soul. I have to cry more to leave all the pain out, but breaking down in front of others will show me pathetic, and I don't want that.

Pulling the hood over my head, I run to the door and unlock it, walking inside. As I close the door behind me, I see Dean is sitting on the couch watching television. I'm about to say a greeting, but closing my mouth and shaking my head. I don't want him to look up at me and notice my face.

I keep my head straight and walk quickly to our bedroom, closing the door. I throw off the hood and unzip the jacket, dropping it on the floor, and my shirt has followed quickly. I then turn around and look at myself in the full-length mirror.

A purple bruise has already formed under my eye. On the left side of my ribs, a large bruise is forming. I touch it gently and pull my fingers back quickly, wincing at the pain.

Psyching myself up, I place my palm flat against the bruise, feeling and pressing against the skin. A painful groan escapes my lips. I pull my hand away as my eyes start to water. Nothing feels broken, but I can't wander around in front of Dean like this.

The bruise will be noticeable, at least for the next few days. I climb into bed, facing away from the door. Makeup will help mask the discoloration, but I know I can't move as fluid as typical.

A single tear escapes from my eye and runs down my cheek. I still can't believe that grandpa is behind all this. I trust him with my whole heart and defend him to my boyfriend, but... The words stick in my throat and make me hard to breathe easily. Is it the punishment for my betraying? Maybe. Then why did he pretend to accept me?

A few more tears escape, and I can't deny the sting that keeps itching my heart. I don't know how I'm going to face Dean. I'm even more scared about what he might say if he sees me. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to forget as another tear drip through my long lashes.

Dean POV:

I guess it's a little odd the way that Seth has hurried past me to get to our room, but then again, there's no noise echoing through the house. It seems unusual. I feel there's something wrong, but I try to convince myself not to confuse my mind about unnecessary things. If I scare him with fake facts, it will collapse his mind and anger him. I think keeping quiet is safe now.

About half an hour later, I glance over at the clock and pat my stomach, feeling hungry. I think ordering a cheeseburger will be great for me. I sigh and make my way to our room to ask what he wants. I take my phone out and knock on the door. "Hey, baby. What do you want for lunch?"

No answer! It seems new, so I turn the knob immediately and step inside. His back is facing me, and I can tell that he isn't sleeping. "Seth, I'm going to order a cheeseburger. What do you want, baby?" I look over for the contacts on the phone before glancing back at him.

"I'm not hungry." His voice has partially muffled by the pillow as he speaks.

"You're not hungry?" I take a step closer to the bed because it's not an actual Seth talking. "You're always hungry. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just leave me alone." He snaps suddenly.

I recoil from the hostility and figure that he sounds upset. "What's going on?" I'm sliding my phone back into the pocket and boring holes into the back of his head, realizing that something is awry definitely.

"I'm just not hungry, Dean," He replies, a lot calmer. "I want to rest. Okay?"

"Are you sure that you're okay?" I look down at him and notice that he's almost curled up in a ball. Taking a deep breath, I sit on the bed next to him and recognize that he has immediately tensed up. He's definitely acting a little strange. I place my hand on his shoulder and squeeze it gently. "Seth? Is something wrong?"

"No." He replies quickly, and I'm positive that I hear a sob being choked back.

I lean over his head and pull back his hair gently. A gasp escapes my lips when I see the bruise underneath his left eye. "What the hell happened?"

He brushes my hand away. "Nothing. Just leave me alone."

I ignore his protests and bring my hand back, pulling his hair. I then quickly pull his shoulder down so that he's lying flat on his back and looking up at me. The bruise under his eye is plain as day. "Baby, what the fuck happened? Who did this to you? Did you get into a fight?" My mind is racing. I've never expected to see him like this again.

"No. I wasn't in a fight." He replies meekly as he looks down at his feet.

"Did something hit you?" I ask, wanting to know what has happened while he has gotten out.

"No. I just went to the vending machine on the way, and the guy in front of me dropped some change. I went to pick it up for him, and he elbowed me right in the eye." His reluctance to deal with the question is scaring me a bit. "I'm fine," He says hurriedly and casts his eyes away from me.

I'm sure he's lying to me, but I don't want to force him. Anyway, he would babble about it eventually, and that was his nature always. He can't keep any secrets even if he tries so and I know about him well. I'll wait until he's ready to spill what's happened on his own.

"It looks fucking painful," I murmur, looking over the bruised skin. I wedge my arm between the younger man's neck and pillow and bring him up to my chest. I see his arm slip from my side and how quickly he brings it back up. With one hand cradling his head, I use the other to pull away from the resistant arm.

My eyes are opening wide at the unsightly bruise. Seth must get into a fight! "Holy shit! How the hell did this happen?" I touch the bruise on his ribs softly, and he winces. "It looks like someone hurting you on purpose."

His brown eyes look watery, and that's when I realize he's also scared to admit who it is. "It's okay, Seth. I won't let you harm again. But you need to tell me who's responsible for all this." I try to get the truth from his mouth, but he remains shut.

He shakes his head against my chest and clutches me deeply. Something wet touches my arm, and I look down to see a tear that has fallen from him. I then realize he knows something that he doesn't want to accept. Does it mean he knows who's behind all these attacks?