Chapter 8

The ambulance was racing across town towards the hospital. When they pulled into the Emergency Room entrance & wheeled the latest casualties straight into the operating theatre & told Inés to wait outside. Inés obeyed & sat there but she felt like her poor heart split into two as she watched as the scene unfolded. She knew that she couldn't stay so she got up & went away from the area. She got in contact with Carmen & Christian.

***

Half an hour later Carmen & Christian up from Palma. Inés filled them in on the situation. Before a figure steps around the corner.

"Where's Miranda?" He's relatively calm, firm. He's angry. "Where's my daughter?"

Just then a doctor in a white coat came striding up to them, he was tall with dark greying hair & a short beard, he had a pair spectacles on the end of a slightly crooked nose, he had grey eyes & looked fairly approachable.

"Good afternoon, it's a pleasure to meet you all although it's a shame that it's under such difficult circumstances. I'm one of the doctors here," He shook all of their hands in turn as he said this. "Right, who's here for Mr Max Winter." Christian & Carmen stepped forward.

"Right follow me & you are?" He said looking at Alan.

"I'm Alan Blake, Miranda's dad." Alan said, before one of the doctor comes out to give them an update on Miranda's condition. everyone is still waiting, silent.

"Mr Blake?" Alan is up quickly.

"Yes?"

"You can see your daughter."

They all walked back down the dim corridor together, before they split up & follow the doctors who were looking after their loved ones.

***

Max's Room

Max laid on the bed the hospital disinfectant smell confusing his senses. In a lot of pain but he felt faint from the number of drugs being pumped into him. He was hooked up to what felt like hundreds of machines. He couldn't see, he couldn't move & he couldn't wake up but he could hear. Max could hear the nurses & doctors checking up on him & the machines around him constantly beeping driving him crazy but he still didn't wake up, he hadn't woken up since he was in Inés' arms that was the last thing he could remember.

Max heard the shuffle of feet along his bedside bringing him back to the present day; He thought it was another one of the nurses checking up on him that was until Max could hear someone slump into the chair. Then a voice came

"He hasn't regained consciousness yet" he recognised that voice it was one of the doctors but the person didn't reply it frustrated her that he didn't know who was watching her.

"Hello Maxi" it was a woman from what he could tell "This is stupid because I don't even know if you can hear me" it was Carmen, he could recognise her voice & Max hoped that she would keep talking to him. Carmen eyes watched Max's lifeless body wondering what he was thinking. His hand holding hers he stroked the back of her hand with his index finger what if she didn't wake up what would he do?

"Sorry Miss Lorenzo the visiting times are ending but you can come back tomorrow" the nurse said walking through the curtain interrupting his train of thought.

"Right okay, thank you" Carmen said looking back at the nurse

"We will call you if his condition changes" the nurse said leaving the room.

Carmen turned back to look at him. She didn't want to leave him & she didn't want him to wake up alone. She stood up, lent over & pressed her lips against his. She nearly had a heart attack when she felt his lips move too, not a lot but enough for her to notice. Then she felt a bit of pressure on her hand.