Chapter 9

The week had flown by, far too fast for Max's liking. Maybe it was due to him sat at home catching up with housework & things he hadn't been able to do whilst in hospital. He could've sworn that the dust everywhere was over an inch thick. As he dusted & cleaned completely ignoring the doctors' orders to take it easy, She can think again he thought. One of the days he had a visit from Christian who came around to watch the football with him but he hadn't seen Carmen for the length that he was release from the hospital. She's been acting really weird he thought. She seems quite sad about something, she's not her usual self. She's suddenly quite withdrawn. A million & one things crossed his mind as he tried to figure out what was troubling her. I guess I'll find out after he thought little did, he know that it was going to be so much worse than he'd envisaged.

A couple of hours later he'd decided to go around to Carmen's work place. He got there, Carmen wasn't busy and she took Max to a quieter place. She looked as if she'd been crying. He was wondering what she already seemed upset about something.

"I have something I to tell you" Carmen looked at Max. He started to come closer, as he approached, he saw that she was clutching something in her hand, holding it close to her stomach. Her face was half hidden in the dim light of the gym. He became intrigued

What could she possibly have to tell me? He thought. "What is it my sweet? What do you need to tell me?"

"I'm breaking up with you Max." It took Max a minute to digest the words that she'd just said. "I can't be with you anymore" Carmen said "You'll always be in my heart, Max" She said before finally having the strength to close her front door & leave him standing there on the step, still reeling. She collapsed against the door the shock of what she'd just done taking hold of her & the tears began to cascade down her face. "But yours belong to someone else."

She added, giving Max, who walking away to where his car was parked, a clue, before he drove off.

***

Max knocked on Miranda's door, it was Alan who answered the door.

"Miranda, there's a strapping young man asking for you."

"Tell him to go in," Miranda said as she stood near the door and watched as Max came into the big lounge.

"Hey Miranda...." Max said but couldn't finished his sentence as he looked what Miranda was wearing a green top and black jean which showed off her flawless figure. Max's heart skipped a beat. Max's staring made Miranda's cheeks turned from a pale peach colour to the colour of strawberries which Alan picked up the sexual chemistry and smiled secretly to himself.

Then everyone sat around the table in the kitchen. Max looked longingly at Miranda. Alan stared in disbelief at Max for looking at his daughter, in that way, in front of him. Miranda glared at her father with a stern dad! look. It was in that moment Alan knew that he was outnumbered, he knew not to get into an argument with his daughter.

***

It was around about 11 o'clock & everyone was shattered, as they had all had a busy day. So they were in the living room watching TV.

"Coffee? Tea?" Max offered

"Would love a cup of English tea thanks Max" Alan replied

"Me too thank you" Miranda said

"Ok I'll be right back" He said going into the kitchen. By the time he'd returned with the cups of tea, Rachel was fast asleep. Well I can't stand here all night deep in thought & as much as I'd like to watch Rachel sleep, I think I'd probably better wake them up he thought give them their cups of tea & then send them to bed. & sat up to take her tea from him. They sat & drank their tea, Alan chatted to Max