4

"I know I'm pretty, you don't need to tell me."

  "I said petty. Not pretty," I sighed.

  I had met up with HueningKai and it was indeed exactly 9:00 AM when I met him. He had his keyboard set up already and was playing some scales to warm up. There were already a few early morning dog walkers who decided to stop and watch him play. He only really noticed me when I sat down next to him.

"For a few minutes I thought you might not actually show up," he chuckled, continuing his scales.

"Why wouldn't I show up?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know, maybe you were hanging out with Yeonjun."

"That was joke. My god, you're petty," I muttered.

    "I know I'm pretty, you don't need to tell me."

  "I said petty. Not pretty," I sighed.

  "Let's just agree that I'm both," he said confidently as he continued to free style on the keyboard, drawing in more of a crowd. He kept playing very advanced tunes that drew more people towards him like a magnet.

  "I can play too," I told him, crossing my arms in a matter of fact way. He withdrew his hands, gesturing towards the keyboard, the look on his face indicating interest. "Piano is my passion," I told him as seriously as I could. I straightened my posture, let my hands float towards the keyboard and delicately played Hot Cross Buns.

  He broke down into a small bout of laughter because of how serious I had acted. Others surrounding us also laughed lightly at my silly antics. When I finished the simple and short song, people clapped softly for the stupid performance.

  "Top that piano boy," I challenged sarcastically.

  HueningKai stretched his fingers dramatically before playing some fast song that impressed everyone. Flight of the Bumblebee was a good song to play if he was aiming to attract the attention of any nearby people who weren't already watching intently. When he finished, the crowd erupted with real applause, people whooping for him.

  "That's how you play the piano," he told me, crossing his arms smugly.

  "Do you want me to give you a crown or something?" I joked.

  "I mean you don't have to but a crown would be nice," he said. "Are we actually gonna do what we came here to do?" He asked, placing his weight on his hand that gripped onto the side of the bench.

"Wait, lemme practice," I said, quickly bringing my hand to the right side of the keyboard, quickly pressing each key lightly enough to not be heard by the audience, but hard enough to still make a small sound so I could hear it. "Okay. I'm ready."

He nodded, putting his arm under mine, scooting closer to the middle, and tapped his foot to establish the tempo before beginning the song, playing the beginning notes. I came in when it was time, playing the notes as well as I could. When it came time for me to play multiple notes at once was when I panicked at little. Of course HueningKai had helped me practice but that didn't stop me from being nervous that I would suck. The middle of the song was the hardest part so we agreed to stop before it because it was too hard for me. He said it was fine that it was too hard but he was glad to see that I had been able to play several notes at once with one hand.

When we finished playing the snippet of the song, the crowd clapped louder than I expected. We thanked the happy crowd who didn't seem like they had any intention of moving anytime soon.

We had practiced one other song, but it was one time and it probably didn't sound as good. I was happy that the first song went well, but we didn't expect to have to do a second song. Instead of playing an unprepared piece, I moved to the side and let HueningKai move to the middle of the bench so he could play.