Chapter 11

"I don't need an explanation, but, you... Are you leaving Korea?"

Those words ran through my head over and over again as the conversation we had replayed in my head too.

-

"Bum Hye-ah..."

"Stop. Tell me now. Are you leaving, or not? It's a simple yes or no question."

"...Yes, I am." I hesitated before speaking.

Bum Hye exhaled. "When?"

"After graduation. Don't tell anyone unless I tell you to."

She nodded. "I won't, but I'm really disappointed in you."

-

Don't worry, Bum Hye, because I'm disappointed in myself too.

Everything I've done this year, all gone. All my friends, gone. It'll all be gone, just because of one action.

It's dangerous, but I'm risking it.

They won't forget me anyway, right?

I just want them to stop caring about me. I'm a burden to their life. I mean, it's not like I'm going away forever.

"Cathy."

Jungkook was snapping at me.

"Something wrong?"

I shook my head.

"Tell me the truth. I know you're lying."

I get caught every. Single. Time.

I smiled. "Nothing's bothering me. Why do you ask?"

"It's just that... I care."

"Why do you care? I'm not even your girlfriend," I muttered the last sentence.

Jungkook's POV

I heard what you said, Cathy Wang.

My grip grew onto the box I was holding behind my back.

Should I? Or should I wait on it?

Probably wait. I think it's too sudden.

She kept tracing the ground with her shoe. I got more nervous than before.

"It's getting late. We should go home now." Cathy suddenly said. She walked past me, and I had to move the box in my hand to hide it from her. Thankfully, it can also fit in my back pocket.

When I couldn't see her, I opened the box.

Two rings shimmering in the sunlight.

Cathy's POV

"Are you coming or not?" I asked Jungkook when I noticed he wasn't following me. I raised my eyebrow in surprise when he came with his hands behind his back. "What's behind your back?"

"Nothing." he scratched the back of his head, with one hand still behind his back. I walked up to him and examined him from head to toe. I then took his hand from the top of his head.

Nothing.

I took his other hand that was hidden behind his back.

Also nothing.

"Consider yourself lucky this time." I squinted. He nodded rapidly as he quickly took his hands back from me.

We walked side by side in silence on our way home. The sun was setting, and it was getting a little windy. I breathed into my hands and rubbed them together. My shoulders dropped as I felt a soft fabric over them. I looked up to my shoulders. The jacket Jungkook wore today was now on me. He simply continued walking with his hands in his pockets.