𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

i wanna see you all on your knees,
either wanna be with me or be me.

⠀⠀"𝓘'M GETTING US out of here, goddamn it," She hisses through gritted teeth, stripping down to her crimson bra as she presses her now discarded top into his gushing wound, "I'm getting us out of here if it's the last thing I do."

⠀⠀"Darlin'," He sputters weakly, head collapsing back against the wall in a fight to hang onto his remaining consciousness, "Listen to me... I'm not gonna make it... You need to leave... S— save yourself while you can..."

⠀⠀His hand ghosts over her blood—stained skin, and she pauses her frantic actions at the feel of his warm touch — but only briefly, before mentally shaking the illusion of refuge from her mind and instead replacing it with a reality check.

⠀⠀They may be sheltered for now, barricaded in the basement of her crazed father's off—shore bunker and curled behind a large hot water tank, but it is only a matter of time before he finds them. The subtle creak of the floorboards and his incoherent mumbles serve as a constant reminder that they are far from safety.

⠀⠀Her jaw tightens and she ignores the sharp pain at her shoulder before replying decidedly, "No. I'm not leaving you here."

⠀⠀He feels his consciousness slip from his tight grasp, the world begins to turn and his vision grows dark.

⠀⠀He takes a final look over her features; because if there is anything he would choose to be the last thing he leaves this godforsaken Earth with, it's the image of her.

⠀⠀"I'm fading, darlin'," His voice is no stronger than a mere whisper.

⠀⠀"No—" Her voice cracks, and she cannot help but let the hot tears brimming her vision to spill as her movements grow frantic and desperate, "No, no, no...."

⠀⠀"Give me a smile, please?" He uses the last of his remaining strength to grip her hand tightly, "Please."

⠀⠀Her face is blood and dirt—stained by this point in the night, tears shamelessly streaking down her cheeks and dripping from her jaw but, nonetheless, she looks into his piercing green eyes and musters a small smile.

⠀⠀He breathes out a content sigh, and his last breath is taken with a final utterance — "Beautiful."

⠀⠀She watches as his lids softly shut, the erratic movement of his breaths come to a halt, and the grip on her hand falls limp.