Chapter One

Mayas POV:
Okay 19 let's go! I shouted as the alarm went off.
We have a house fire, 2 adults a child still inside the house. Herrera, Gibson I want a full downstairs sweep and Miller and Montgomery to go upstairs. 23 is all ready on the scene putting out the fire so it's all hands on deck.

As we got onto the scene, the 2 duos went in and swept the house, the adults were found and brought outside but there was no sign of the child.
Ma'am do you know where the girl is? I asked the woman.
"probably hiding the little shit" the woman said laughing to herself. I gave Andy a look in disbelief of what the woman has just said.
"What's her name and is there anywhere else she could be?" I said firmly.
"uhh Harriet? Oh wait it's Harper. She's just some kid I'm fostering. She's probably in the basement." The woman replied completely unbothered by the whole situation.
19 I need a full search of the basement, the girls name is Harper we don't have a lot of the time so be quick but careful.
All of a sudden I heard a scream, there was a small window on the bottom side of the house. I heard another scream, I ran over to the window and smashed it open. I could see her. She was so small, so vulnerable.
"Hi sweetheart, my names Maya, I'm a fire captain my teams going to get you out okay." I told her softly trying to calm her down.
"h-help" she said with tears running down her face"
"Don't worry you'll be out of there in no time" I replied.
"Can you tell me how old you are sweetheart?"
"five" she replied
She was so young, I needed to get her out right now. "Bishop I'm by the door tell her to stand back I need to kick the door down" Herrera said on the radio.
"Hunny I need to to stand back okay, were going to get you out now"
The little girl stood back against the wall and curled up into a small ball. Andy kicked the door down and picked her up in her arms. Andy ran out the door with the girl cuddled up next to her and put her on the floor. She was so small, so skinny, she was not a healthy five year old. But she was so beautiful, long blonde hair and beautiful brown eyes with freckles.
"I need o2 and fluids over here asap" I shouted.
"Come here you little shit" shouted the woman as she started approaching the little girl. Harpers eyes shot open wide in fear and looked straight at me. "Ma'am I need you to stay back while we help her" I said firmly and the woman rolled her eyes back.
"Sc-scared" the little girl said with tears in her eyes while I sat looking over her.
"Shhh it's okay, I'm here, I'm here" I said reassuring the girl.
"Don't leave" she said grabbing onto my jacket.
"I'm not going anywhere Harper."
I never get attached to kids that I rescue but there's something about this girl. The way she looks into my eyes, I can't describe it.
"Hunny I'm going to put this over your face okay it will help you breathe okay? Big deep breathes" I put the oxygen mask on her face and she Instantly started to panic.
"No no no stop stop" she shouted kicking her legs trying to get away.
"Shhhh it's okay deep breathes sweetheart shhhh" I said rubbing her forehead with my thumb calming her down.
"We're going to go for a little ride to the hospital now, okay?"
"No no no hospital" she said crying. "It's okay I'll stay with you okay, I'm here"
Andy I'm going to the hospital with her, can you cover me? I asked. "Of course, make sure you update me Mais she replied.
Page dr Carina Deluca to treat Harper please, I asked one of the interns when we got to the hospital. I knew that my girlfriend would be the best doctor to treat her.
Carina came down to the ER and came into Harpers room.
"Hi bambina I'm just going to check some things okay I promise it won't take long" she said to Harper.
"okay" she replied grabbing my hand.
Carina gave me a look when she saw her holding my hand, I knew that she knew something was up. I never come to the hospital and I especially don't hold their hand in the ER. But there's something different about this girl and I'm not leaving her anytime soon.
"Maya can I speak to you for a second" asked Carina.
"Sweetheart is it okay if I stand outside for the room with carina for a second, I won't be long and you'll still be able to see me through the glass okay? 
Harper nodded her head and I stepped outside to talk to Carina.
"She dehydrated, underweight and her vitals aren't looking too good she may have a infection or some sort of bug I'll have to do some tests. I want to keep her at-least overnight to get her some fluids and start her on antibiotics" My girlfriend told me. "Okay that's fine I'll go and speak to her now" I replied with a frown on my face.
Maya what happened out there, I mean you never treat your patients like this. She asked me.
She's a foster kid, she was in a locked basement by herself. I'm guessing she's been abused, I said with tears in my eyes.
"Oh my god, I'll get her changed into a gown and I'll check for any signs of abuse, bruising ect and I'll call the social worker later.

A/N: hope you liked the first chapter ahhh any feedback would be appreciated !!!