Chapter X

Y/N's eyelids slowly rose, blinking a few times to see more clearly. She sharply inhaled through her nose and reached out to the other side of the bed. She was expecting to feel her lover beside her, but she was met with the cold bed sheets. She huffed and sat up, rubbing the sleepiness from her eyes.

"James?" She called out to see if he was in the room.

There was no response, so she flipped the bed covers off of her legs and walked over to the bathroom door. She removed her silk robe from the hook on the door and draped it around herself. She opened the door of their shared room and peeked out into the hallway. She frowned at no sight of James and closed the door. When she turned around to walk further into their room, Miss Evers appeared in the center of the living area.

Y/N jumped and set her hand over her chest, "Jesus, you scared me."

"I'm sorry Mrs. L/N, I was instructed to bring you tea and collect the sheets." She replied.

"Oh, well that's very kind, thank you. D-do you happen to know where James is?" Y/N asked.

"He is attending to some business at the moment dear." She answered, stripping the bed of its sheets.

Y/N sighed and sat on the sofa, pouring herself a cup of tea from the warm pot.

"Is something bothering you Mrs.?" Miss Evers inquired.

Y/N shook her head, "no, it's nothing." She looked into her tea hopelessly.

Miss Evers paused for a moment and then exited the room awkwardly.

"Business." Y/N mumbled to herself, shaking her head annoyed.

"Ay, chin up girl, at least you have someone who loves you." A depressing voice stated from across the room.

Y/N whipped her head around noticing Sally sitting on the naked bed. "Is my hotel room just free-reign for everyone now? God."

"Are you really just staying in this hell hole to be with James? You're able to leave this place and go wherever you want and do whatever you want. And you're staying here because of one man?" Sally's eyebrows pressed together as she spoke.

"I haven't seen him in decades. I already lived my life and did everything I've wanted to, I actually prefer being here with him." She responded.

Sally shook her head and looked to the floor.

Y/N furrowed her eyebrows and took a sip of her tea.

"So, you're just gonna live here for eternity?" Sally interrupted the silence.

"Well, I'd like to be with James forever." Y/N replied.

"You don't think you'll get tired of that old bastard?" Sally bit.

"He's my soulmate." Y/N shrugged.

Sally stuck out her tongue like she was grossed out.

"Don't you have someone you want to spend eternity with? Someone you feel you never wanna be away from? Hm?" She asked.

Sally's continuous stream of tears picked up, "not when I was alive..."

Y/N cocked her head.

"He doesn't feel the same though." She added, avoiding eye contact.

Y/N turned her whole body to face the upset girl, "if he did, wouldn't you want him to be here with you, forever?"

She looked up at Y/N, bit her bottom lip, and nodded.

Y/N smiled, "I want to be with James forever."

Sally wiped her tears and stood up to leave, "be careful around here, the spirits are hungry for new blood." She stated and closed the door behind her.

Y/N was left to sit confused and alone. She set down her tea and suddenly a knock came from the door. "Can I not get one minute of peace?" She muttered under her breath before approaching the door. She opened it to see Miss Evers holding a stack of folded, clean sheets. Y/N opened the door wider and stepped aside to let her in.

Miss Evers walked past her and began making the bed.

"Do you know how long James is going to be?" Y/N questioned.

"No Ma'am." Miss Evers answered.

Y/N sighed and closed the door.

Miss Evers seemed flustered and extremely nervous.

Y/N finished her cup of tea and lit a cigarette.

"You shouldn't have come back." Miss Evers said very quietly.

"What?" Y/N thought she heard what the laundress had said but she wasn't sure.

She stopped putting on the fresh sheets and turned around, "I said you shouldn't have come back, Mrs. L/N."

"And why is that?" Y/N crossed her arms offended.

"I loved him! When his precious Y/N left him, I was there to comfort him! We only had each other because you betrayed him! I was loyal from the start and I would never leave him! You don't deserve to be with him!" She fumed.

Y/N's mouth fell open and she slowly stepped toward Miss Evers, "I didn't know he would be trapped here! It's not normal! If I thought for one second he was still here, I wouldn't have stepped one foot out of the Cortez! You have no right to speak to me like this! Get out, I can make a damn bed." She bit back.

-

Meanwhile, James was in the basement burning a man to death for trying to steal a priceless piece of art from the hotel. After the man was finished roasting, James took off his intricate mask and lit a cigarette, admiring his work. He walked up to the jerky-like carcass and observed it. He felt like something was wrong and a horrible feeling washed over him. He froze and looked off into the distance, trying to figure out why he was feeling this way. He had no idea what this feeling was, but he knew it wasn't good. He threw his cigarette on the concrete floor and rushed out of the room.

James flung open the door to his and Y/N's suite. He saw no one but a sound came from behind the sofa. He stormed around to the other side to see Y/N holding her throat with a bloody hand, gasping for air. James's eyes widened and he knelt down to scoop her up. He began to cry and place his hands over hers to try and stop her bleeding. He has slit many throats in his time and was aware the bleeding could not be stopped. He cried and caressed her head and whispered, "it's alright, this is not the end, I'll be waiting for you my love."

She coughed a few more times before slowly becoming more limp and losing consciousness.

James cried while still holding her lifeless body. Normally, watching someone die would give him great pleasure, but to see his beloved suffer, brought out his emotions. He knew she wasn't really gone but he knew she would be different now; less passionate, less cheerful, less driven and that was all she was. He set her body down carefully and removed her wedding ring. After coming back to reality, he was consumed with anger, who did this? Who would do this?