CHAPTER 9 - THE STRAYS by SLEEPING WITH SIRENS

So many of us can relate to this song. "I was born, but I wasn't raised." We feel unloved, not seen, not appreciated and not cherished. Each and every one of you is a bright star in my sky. Your time is coming. Just hold on a little longer, babes. I love you!

SPOTIFY LINK https://open.spotify.com/track/1nGpm9EPkh1Esb4LIpclBW?si=0d33ce4851f0419a

Levi was setting the table for dinner. A couple times a week, he had Isabel and Farlan over, and in turn, he'd join them a couple nights too. He grumbled about it, but truly he enjoyed their company and was grateful to not always be alone. Tonight they'd ordered in...Saigon Cafe, their favorite. As he laid down the last knife, there was an explosion of screaming and yelling coming from the hallway outside his door. Levi grabbed the pan that was drying on the rack and ran to the door, swinging it open and raising the pan above his head, unable to imagine that anything making these noises could be good.

Instead he saw his Isabel wrapped in the long arms of the boy next door. Her face was wet with tears, and she was laughing hysterically between loud sobbing hiccups. The boy pressed her head to his chest and rested his cheek on her hair. He had the most raptured look on his face that made Levi feel embarrassed by the vulnerability in his eyes.

Isabel looked up to see Levi frozen with his pan and a confused and pissed look on his face. "Oh my God, Lee!" Stepping out of Eren's arms, she reached up and wrapped her hands around Levi's wrist, gently coaxing it down. "Oh my god, it's okay!"

He narrowed his eyes at the boy. "What the fuck!?"

Eren read the panic in Levi's face and stepped two steps back. He put his hands up, but couldn't stop laughing. "Shit I'm sorry!" He looked back and forth between his friend and his hot new neighbor and frowned. "Belles do you live here?"

She looked at Levi and smiled gloriously. "No! No, Levi's a good friend." She gestured to the man.

"What's going on?" came Farlan's voice approaching.

Levi let out a nervous breath when the girl stepped forward to run her hands down Farlan's chest. "Sweetie," she smiled up at him, "Lee." She turned and walked to Eren. "I've talked about Eren before, don't you remember?" Isabel looked at them both, her arm securely around the boy's waist and his wrapped around her shoulder. "We just ran into each other. It's been...what? Like five years!" She hugged him again.

"Hey," Eren broke the quiet and shoved his hand out to Farlan. "I'm Eren Yeager." After shaking Farlan's hand, he turned to Levi. "It's nice to meet you," he said, extending his hand to Levi, his eyes crinkled in a conciliatory smile.

Levi's eyes narrowed and he nodded, hesitantly shaking his hand. "Yeah, you too."

"Oh my god! I'm so excited to see you!" Isabel yelled at the top of her lungs, jumping up and down. "I can't believe how great you look!"

Eren laughed at her exuberance and hugged her again. He looked at her earnestly. He grabbed her fiercely, a sob choking his voice. "I never thought I'd see you again."

They held each other in silence, quiet sniffles coming from them both. Farlan and Levi stood, stunned, watching their Isabel hold this man like he belonged to her.

Farlan cleared his throat and shifted his weight. Levi read his discomfort and grabbed his sleeve. "Okay, let's go inside." He opened the door. " Iz?"

The girl looked up with the most beautiful, joyous smile. He worked his face into a considerable frown. "Bang on that fucker's wall if you need anything." He narrowed his eyes at Eren. "Don't worry, I'll definitely hear you." Levi elbowed Farlan when he didn't move.