The Scars We Own

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the really really late update, I've been super busy! I would like to say thank you to everyone who votes/comments on this story it really means a lot. This will be a short one but I have a long one in the making!

We are going to pretend that they can still do IMs at night with the moon instead of the sun cuz I have seen a rainbow made by the moon before.

Now, On With The Story!
—————
Percy POV

"But Annabeth! I don't want to be killed! Especially not by my mom!" I whined as I looked up at the apartment building on the upper east side of Manhattan.

"Percy. You have not seen her for close to a year. You have to at least tell her you are alive. Besides, she loves you too much to kill you, she will probably just glare and yell at you for the first hour or so and then hug you to death. Seriously, your mom is the best." She reasons from in the misty rainbow that shows camp behind her.

We got back from defeating Gaea about a month ago, but I decide to stay at camp for a little bit to oversee the repairs that were needed. Annabeth and I both agreed that I had to go back home and complete my senior year in order to go to NRU (New Rome University) next fall. She's still at camp, making sure the campers are okay and they have a leader if anything goes wrong, while I am in the alleyway by my moms apartment (like I have been for the last 20 minutes) debating what will happen when I go in, and even if I should go in.

"Seaweed brain, look at me." She commands. I look down at where I was staring, which was at the floor where my moms apartment lies, wondering what she was doing at the moment, bus as soon as I heard Annabeth, I turn to her. "Your mom loves you. You are one of the best things that has ever happened to her, she will be ecstatic that you are home. I mean, the only contact she has had with you was a voicemail from when you were in Alaska, only letting her know that you were alive! She only knows that you aren't dead yet, she doesn't know if you are hurt or not, so seeing her will let her have closure." She says, making me think over what I was about to do.

"I know, its just that, i-we have gone through so much since I went missing; I mean, we cant even really sleep without each other! And of course I want to see my mom, I want to hug her and tell her i'm okay and that I love her, but-" I say, getting interrupted by her.

"But you're afraid she won't see you for who you are now." She understands.

"Exactly. And I know what you're going to say: Percy she is your mom, she will always support you, but you don't know that! She doesn't know what we went through, and, frankly, I don't want to tell her! It will just make her worry! I mean, I have been gone for almost a year and I am more Roman from when I left, I have a tattoo that is burned into my skin, I have even more PTSD and survivors guilt then when I left, scars that cover my body, and I cant sleep without you for fear that I will have a flashback or a nightmare! And what-if I attract monsters and she dies or Paul dies? I couldn't live with myself, Annabeth!" I say, absolutely freaking out about every last thing.

"Percy. You may be different, yes, but those things are what make you unique. You are a fighter. You wouldn't be able to live without the thrill of a fight or training, and Sally knows that. She may not know what you have gone through for the past year, but she knows that from the moment you were born, you were going to be special, you were going to have a hard life and go through hard things, but you will rise to the occasion, and thrive. And, yes the things you specialize in make you different than what you were like before, but they make you better! The scars they leave you with may be scars that remind you of terrible times, but they are also scars of learning, scars that remind you that even in the darkest of times, you can still have hope, light.

"The Roman in you only makes you wiser, and better, its not a bad thing, and your tattoo is a reminder that even the people that have been fighting for decades, polar opposites, can come together, agree on something for the better, and fight alongside one another when needed.

"Your PTSD makes you strong. Its proof that you are a fighter, a leader, a commander, so don't you dare say it makes you weak because it doesn't. Dont blame yourself for others deaths because they weren't your fault! They all died heroes, they made their choice, and you blaming yourself just because you made a hard decision, isn't going to help anybody.

"Monsters have been coming after you in your house for years, and Sally and Paul haven't gotten caught up in the crossfire. Monsters will leave them alone unless they are taking order from someone, and your mom can see them, they will be fine. Paul and Sally can hold their own, they aren't going to die, and you know that. Worst comes to worst, you protect them. You and your parents will be fine, and I will be there by 7 o'clock for dinner; just make sure your mom knows I'm coming and is caught up on the sleeping situation."  Annabeth always knows how to calm me down, and she doesn't disappoint this time. As she concludes, I feel my heart rate finally return to normal after slowing down while she was talking.

"Okay. Okay, I'm good. Thank you, wise girl. You always know what to say." I tell her, smiling.

"No problem seaweed brain. I'll see you soon okay? I love you."

"I love you too." I say blowing a kiss to her. She returns the gesture before swiping her hand through the mist, cutting off the connection. Man, I can't wait  for her to come here.

SQUIRREL!

I shake my head out of my thought as my eyes snap back to the building in front of me that doesn't look nearly as intimidating as before I talked to Annabeth. Don't tell her, but I couldn't go one day without her. She's amazing: her beautiful golden blonde hair, and the stormy grey eyes the bore into your own, the way that she can focus on one thing and not get distracted, or totally dominate in sparring and capture the flag with her technique. I love her.

I stuff my hands in the pockets of my Jean jacket, once again looking up at the building in-front of me, finally going around to the front telling myself: if I don't go now, I won't go ever.

I walk pass the reception, smiling at the guy named Sam (who I don't remember AT ALL),  passing the elevator (I ain't ever going in one of those again if I don't have to) and opening the door labeled 'stairs', immediately taking them two at a time, on my way up to East 104 and 1st, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York.

I stop outside the door, gathering up the last bit of courage I have, and knock 3 times on the door, ready to see my mom, but not at all ready for what else (or rather who else) was waiting there.