Chapter 15

And suddenly I become a part of your past
-

Meredith pressed the buzzing alarm clock and she turned around to face Layton. She's been staying with him since he got home a few days ago. With her eyes still closed, she nudged him a bit to wake him up. "Layton, you need to get up. Your flight's in two hours. You need to be there at least an hour before." He mumbled something incoherently and he dug himself deeper into his pillow. "Layton." Meredith opened her eyes and shook him. "Layton. Wake up."

"It's still early," he mumbled. "And my arm hurts."

"You've been cleared off by your doctor, Layton. You're just making excuses," Meredith reminded him.

"Just a few more minutes," he yawned, furrowing deeper into the pillows, hiding his face from sight.

"Unless you do want to fly back to D.C. in your silk pajamas, then you could take a few minutes, other than that..." Meredith nudged him again. When he gave out a grunt, she rolled her eyes and didn't think about the next thing she said. "I swear, you're much harder to wake up than Derek."

His eyes went wide open at the mention of Derek's name. He gave her an indefinable look and he threw the covers off of him in an instant. "I'm up." He sat on the edge of the bed for a few seconds before letting out a sigh.

"I'm sorry."

"There's no need to be, Mer. I-I," he looked back at her a little with a hurt look on his face. "I need to go get dressed."

Minutes later, Layton was all dressed-up and ready to go. He picked up his suitcase and turned to Meredith who was still in bed.

"Hopefully I'll see you next month in D.C.?" he asked, fixing his tie.

"As soon as the Chief signs the papers," she nodded.

"Aren't you gonna give me a goodbye hug?" he grinned at her. She smiled and she got out of the bed and walked over to him. He hugged her tightly for a few seconds before letting her go and smiling down at her. "You'll call me right?"

"I will," she nodded with a smile. "I most certainly will."

"I'll call you when I land," he placed a kiss on her cheek and with one last wave, walked out of their hotel room.

Meredith got into her car, placing the keys in the ignition and driving away. She turned the radio on to escape the eerie silence that was enveloping her car. She turned the corner, glancing at the side mirror quickly to see if anyone was right behind her. She reverted her gaze to the front and looked up just in time to see the stop light turn red. She pressed on the brakes and panicked when the car didn't stop like it was supposed to. She pressed it down two more times before she heard a sickening crunching of metal, and then she didn't remember what happened next.

Christina didn't know what to do. She had been pacing in front of trauma room 1 for about 15 minutes now. Inside was her friend, fresh from a car accident. The police were hovering over George and Izzie in the outer hall. Christina did not want to deal with police at this time. All she wanted to deal with was the resident doctor and the attending that were tending to her friend inside trauma room 1.

"Christina!" George opened the door and called her. "You need to come out here."

"Can't you see I'm trying to pace here, George!?" Christina shouted at him.

"Trust me, you need to come out here!" George insisted in his annoying way.

"This better be important," Christina glared at George. She looked at the police officer who was looking at her. "What is it?"

"We did some further investigation, Dr. Yang, and we found out that your friend's brakes had been clipped."

"What? What? What do you mean clipped!?"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5 more chapters to go!!!
Hope y'll are enjoying this book🕯🤞🏾
vote and comment
Go read stories from fanfiction @/SKBELIEVER👌🏾