Chapter Five

Dinah was driving home a few days later when her phone started ringing.

"Hello?" She asked when she answered.

"Dinah, hi." Courtney said.

"Hey Court. What's up?"

"I think I found our next recruit for the JSA."

"Who?"

"Rick Harris."

Dinah, thrown by surprise recollected herself then spoke. "Rick? Why?"

"Pat and I ran into him this morning. The hourglass started glowing like crazy around him. I tried following him and showing him but it didn't work."

"Can I meet you at your house Courtney? I need to tell you something. And can you call Yolonda and tell her to come over too?"

"Sure. Why are you acting weird?"

"I'll explain later."

However, when Dinah and Yolonda arrived, Courtney was dealing with Beth, who had just found the Doctor Mid-nite goggles.

"Guys, we need to talk about Rick." Courtney said to Yolonda and Dinah when they got up to her room.

"Why does she have Doctor Mid-nite's goggles?" Dinah asked.

"Long story but he was just telling her about Rick and who his actual dad is."

"That's actually why I needed to talk to you guys. I know the truth about Rick and his family. And I want to explain what happened between me and him."

"So let me get this straight, you and Rick were friends?" Yolonda asked as Dinah finished explaining everything.

"Yes." Dinah replied.

"And Rick's dad was Hourman?" Courtney asked.

"Yes." Dinah answered.

"So that's why the hourglass started glowing. It's tied to his DNA."

"Exactly." Dinah said.

"So his uncle knows about Rick's dad and his and your dad's involvement in the JSA?"

"I don't think so. He just knew something was up with them and it was always causing trouble. That's why I stopped being friends with Rick. His uncle is a jerk and my dad did not want to mess with him."

"Well we need to try and approach Rick again." Courtney said. "Maybe once we explain, he'll want to help."

"I mean we can try." Dinah said with a shrug. "He'll probably be at Cindy's party tonight."

The four girls entered Cindy's party, looking around for Rick.

"I haven't been to a party in so long." Dinah said as she grabbed a drink.

"Di, maybe you shouldn't-" Beth started but was cut off by Dinah.

"No offense Beth but we're about to confront my ex best friend that I haven't talked to in nine years and spill all of this heavy news on him so I'm having a drink."

The four continued looking around the party for Rick until Courtney found him out back. Courtney gathered Beth, Yolonda, and Dinah and they all went outside to talk to Rick.

"Dinah? What the heck are you doing here and with them?"

"Nice to see you too Rick." Dinah muttered.

"So you think you're all superheroes huh?" Rick said.