Bittersweet Comforts

This could not be happening.

Your head snapped in the direction of the voice.

And you felt your heart drop when you saw who it was.

Rafael Barba.

There he was standing with wide eyes as he made eye contact with you.

Everyone else had turned their attention towards him as they waited, the silence only seeming to make time go slower.

You silently prayed it was some kind of joke and he would burst out laughing and everything would be okay.

He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

He looked like a deer in headlights. In any other situation, you would have laughed and taken a picture to tease him later but right now you needed him to snap out of it.

You didn't even realize you were in front of him until you heard yourself ask, "Raf?"

"I-uh-I," he stammered unable to get any proper words out.

"Maybe you two should talk in the other room?" Aaron had appeared next to you out of nowhere.

You nodded before he gave you a reassuring smile and you all but dragged Rafael to a small room.

---------------------------------

"You want to tell me what's wrong?" you say demandingly.

"I-un don't know?" he said nervously avoiding your gaze.

Oh no, he doesn't, not this time.

"What do you mean I DON"T FREAKING KNOW? I WAS THREE SECONDS AWAY FROM BEING THE HAPPIEST GIRL ON EARTH AND THEN YOU FREAKING OBJECT LIKE AS IF-"

But you didn't get to finish that thought because someone was kissing you.

Not just anyone.

Rafael Freaking Barba

You immediately pushed him away in complete shock.

You were very surprised when you tried to speak and it came out as a whisper.

"What the heck was that."

He looked at you searching your eyes for something that you couldn't figure out.

"I love you."

The world had officially lost its mind.

"You lo-what?" you asked already overwhelmed.

"I always have. At first, I thought it must be a silly crush or that it was because we spent so much time together and I would grow out of it. But I didn't. In fact, I only loved you more. Day after day I told myself I would tell you but I was scared. I thought it would ruin our friendship. And I didn't want that. But as time passed I knew I couldn't live like this so I made a promise to myself to tell you. And I almost did. The day I graduated you were so happy and proud of me and I swore to myself I would tell you that day. But then-"

"I met Aaron," you said softly.

He gave you a sad smile.

"Yes. I saw the way you two hit it off and I knew I had lost my chance."

The two of you stood there in silence but your mind was anything but.

It all made sense now.

The extra affection, the comments about Aaron, the behavior from this morning.

He loved you.

You felt your eyes water.

Because the truth was that there had been a point in your life that you had fallen in love with him. You would have been more than happy to marry him. To start a family with him. To grow old with him.

But time had past and you had grown and he didn't need to know that right now.

You didn't know you were sobbing until you felt him hug you and whisper, "I'm so sorry," into your ear.

"You should have told me," you sobbed into his shoulder.

"I know I'm sorry."

The both of you just stood there and cried for a while.

"I thought about leaving."

Your eyes went wide as you pulled away from him.

"What?"

He took a deep breath, "It hurt. To see the two of you together. You were so happy. And it hurt. It hurt to see you every day knowing I would never be in his place. I wanted to be far away from you but I knew I couldn't leave you. And I knew you would hunt me down."

You gave a small laugh.

"Damn right I would have."

He chuckled.

He brushed his hand along your cheek and you shivered at the feeling.

"I know you don't feel the same way and for some strange reason, I'm okay with that. It just felt nice to get it off my chest."

This day just got weirder and weirder.

"And you just chose today right now out of all other times?" you said pretending to be upset but you really weren't.

He gave a huge grin before bursting in a fit of laughter and you laughed too.

"You always complain your life is boring. I'm just adding some action to it bonita."

You rolled your eyes and pushed him playfully.

"We should get back then."

He looked at you before grinning.

"You know that you're the prettiest woman ever but the makeup is making you look like La Llorona."

You laughed.

"Go get my bridesmaids. They'll make me look good as new."

Before he went he gave you a tight hug.

And you hugged him back just as tightly.

"You'll be okay?" you asked with a bit of worry.

You can't just make a confession like that and then just be okay.

He pulled away from you and kissed your forehead.

"I'll be okay," he paused, "but I hope your wedding will be okay. Aaron probably thinks I kidnapped you and all the guests probably hate me."

"Impossible."

He appreciated the sentiment but gave you the "you really want to bet?" look.

You laughed.

"Hurry up I would like to get married before the end of the day guapo," you said playfully.

"Okay okay. Your wish is my command bonita," he said as he rushed to get your bridesmaid.

----------------------------

"Alright! You may kiss the bride!" the minister exclaimed as you kissed Aaron.

When you had come back the guests were confused but relieved that the ceremony would continue. Aaron had looked at you questionably but you only smiled and gave him the best "I'll tell you later" look you could. It would be an interesting conversation but all you wanted was to get married.

And here you were.

Aaron was beaming as he leaned in for another kiss before taking your hand and running down the aisle and everyone through petals in the air. As you ran you spotted Rafael and gave him a wide grin before throwing your bouquet at him. He caught it confused and you giggled before blowing a kiss and ran faster as he registered what it meant.

Today was full of surprises but you were happy that everything had turned out okay.

Bonita: Pretty girl

Guapo: Handsome

La llorona: scary Hispanic folktale woman (that's a really bad description I'm so sorry. Google probably can do better 🤣)

Fun fact I had to rewrite this because I accidentally deleted a big part of it but I am happier with this version. Hope you enjoyed!