-5 Things-

It's bonfire night in Button house

It's bonfire night in Button house. You watched the Fireworks that the village was setting off early. The stars of colour in the sky were beautiful but the crashes of sound could send the strongest of men into fear.

As you made it back inside the house, you heard the shouting and panicking of the residents inside. "What's going on?" You called out, everyone turned around. It looked as if they were penguins huddling for warmth.

You noticed someone in the middle, crouched down and covering their ears from the noise. You expected Robin, or Kitty but no. It was Captain.

"It's alright, mate. It'll stop in a few minutes." Pat tried to comfort him but it didn't work. He was having a panic attack because of his PTSD, repeating that 'They are coming' over and over again.

"Move!'" You pushed the others out of the way. "Give him some space to breathe, for Christ's sake!" You shouted, they all moved away from him. You knelt down in front of him, holding his hands tightly.

"They're coming." He sobbed, his heart pounding at the explosions in the sky.

"No, they're not." You told him calmly, tracing your finger on his palms. "Captain just look at me, okay?" You ordered, he nodded, his breath shaking heavily.

"What are you doing?" Julian asked furiously, as if to say he didn't deserve the treatment he was getting.

"Can you name five things you can see, Captain?" You asked him, holding onto his hand tightly. You encouraged him to speak, smiling and nodding at him.

"Floor," He started, looking down at the old wooden floors that'd been there longer than he had. "shoes," He continued, looking at his and the others shoes. "hands..." He breathed slowly between words as you told him. "table," You nodded at him to finish all five. "you." He finished, still rocking back and forth in remembrance of his time alive.

"Well done, Captain! You're doing so well." You praised, smiling vibrantly at him. "Now can you name four things you can feel?" You asked, the ghosts around you looked perplexed at the fact it was actually working to calm him.

"Swagger stick. Uhm...your hand. My clothes. The floor." He was quicker this time yet he still took pauses to think.

"Well done. Can you name 3 things you hear?" You asked the third question. He took time to answer.

"Your voice...breathing...the wind." He was coming back into his reality, feeling everything around him and breathing at a normal, controlled pace.

"Just two more now, alright?" He nodded. "Two things you can smell?" The fourth question left your lips, a much harder one admittedly but still possible.

"The pie Alison baked with Kitty." He answered, trying to think of another but failing. His failure caused him to panic again slightly.

"What flavour was the pie?" You asked, bringing his attention back to you.

"Apple pie." He replied, thinking of the joy in Kitty's eyes when Alison took the pie out of the oven.

"That sounds wonderful! Last question, what's one thing you can taste?" It was a difficult question considering he hadn't tasted for decades. He took time to answer but thought about it, taking his mind off of the past.

"The fresh air." He answered, smiling at you. You clapped for him excitedly, his face filled with joy as he'd accomplished something great.

"That was brilliant!" You told him. There was a bang but he paid no attention to it, all his focus was on all he saw, felt, heard, smelt and tasted.

"How did you do that?" Pat and Julian asked in unison. Their confusion clear, like you'd cured an incurable disease with a click of your fingers.

"I care."