III - Partners

We all headed out the door towards the vacant lot.

It had rained since I got home, and the smell of the autumn leaves and fresh rain was overwhelming. It was very peaceful.

Soda did a front handspring off the steps and everyone tried to show him up. Steve did an aerial somersault, Two-Bit did a one handed cartwheel, I did a no hands cartwheel, and Dally did a back walkover down each step. Johnny even did a round off, but he went right into a cartwheel after it. He sure was impressive. His hair was sticking up and his face was flushed with excitement.

Of course Darry had to show us all up by walking down the porch steps on his hands and ending with a double backflip.

I was a bit miffed about Darry being such a dumb show off , but Johnny was excited to do the races. When Johnny was happy so was I, so it didn't bother me as much as usual.

You would think that Greasers would be hardened from our time on the streets but we still know how to have fun. Our gang's version of fun is acrobatics, although the Socs say it makes us look soft. I for one think doing acrobatics makes us look tuff.

Socs try to put us down all the time even if they know what they're saying isn't true. They know that even though we mainly do acrobatics for fun, we still use them to kick their butts in rumbles.

When we reached the lot we spread out our supplies to see what races we could have.

We had eggs and spoons for the egg and spoon race. Dally had magically come up with a carton of eggs. I was beginning to think he robbed a grocery store.

Steve provided a few wooden blocks for the blockhead race, they were kind of greasy and grimy because he used them to work on cars. They would work fine though.

Two gathered a few old beer bottles to mark the finish lines and for the bottle between knees race. He sure had a lot of those to spare.

We also had old dish clothes for the two legged race.

I suggested a running race because I knew I could win it.

"C'mon Pony we all already know you'll beat us all!" Soda complained.

"Not on my watch!" Darry challenged.

"We'll see Daryl." I mouthed back.

This sent Johnny and Two laughing.

When Johnny laughed his dark eyes got sparkles in them. He smiled right at me as he was laughing and I felt my toes curl in my shoes.

"Alright everybody let's pick teams." Steve ordered.

"But we have uneven numbers," Johnny said.

"We could always have two teams of two and one team of three." I suggested, always eager to respond to Johnny.

"Or I can be a one man band and beat you all," Darry bragged

I was not going to let that happen.

"Ok Superdope." Two said teasingly

Steve and Soda naturally wanted to be partners because they were best friends, or I guess more that friends now.

I really wanted to be on Johnny's team. The idea of him rooting for me made my heart race. I always did best at the track meets Johnny came to watch.

"Let's be partners Johnnycake!" I said a little too enthusiastically.

"What kind of partners?" Two snickered.

That made me blush. Johnny and I as romantic partners. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad...but we were just best buds, like Steve and Soda. Shoot I forgot that they hooked up.