Twelve

*not edited

Nearly two weeks and still no sign of Jack. I thought if I could find any information about the guy, it'd lead me to him, but no one seemed to know him. I asked Harry's neighbors if they'd seen him before, and they hadn't, not even at the block party. It's starting to make me think if I just imagined him there too. I'm losing my mind trying to solve this case. So far, no murders in the last three weeks, but it still doesn't mean he's finished. He's lurking in the shadows of his next victim, and I should be there to stop him.

I didn't tell Harry my theory about Jack because it isn't much of one. There's nothing concrete to show, so I just left it alone. However, something in my gut tells me Jack is hiding something, and I need to bring it to the light. I hope that wasn't the last time I saw him because I needed a lot of questions answered.

The search for the escaped mental patient is still on, but the chief is handled now instead of Harry. He was more concerned about the cabin in the woods the killer took the waiter captive in. He's turned every inch of that place upside down, hoping to find any evidence on the guy. It was left pretty empty, and just his creepy devil mask was left behind. I'm sure just to prove he was there. We've tested it for fingerprints, but it's clean. It's never been worn by anyone. I guess the sicko has tons of them lying around.

Harry comes storming in with a couple of twigs sticking to his coat. He was in the woods again, and by his distraught expression, he didn't find what he was looking for. I get up from my desk and over to his. I don't say anything, just clean the grass and twigs from his hair. Harry stops me gripping my wrist and looking up at me for a moment.

"Let's do something fun tonight," he blurts.

"Excuse me? Harry, there's a—"

"I fucking know, but please, I just need one night. No case or murders. Just You and Me," he flashes a bright smile and loosens his grip on my wrist to turn it, kissing the back of my hand.

"Fine, we'll go on a date tonight. What do you have in mind?"

"Oh, don't worry about a thing, I have an idea. Pick you up at seven," Harry winks, getting up and heading towards the chief's office. That man is something else.

I went home early to get ready for our date tonight, we've managed to go on three during the chaos, and I've cherished every one of them. The fall weather is starting to hit here, but I didn't want to wear jeans tonight. I tried to put more effort into my outfit. I chose a dark red dress and paired it with stockings underneath to keep my legs warm while tossing on a suede coat. I thought black boots would be more appropriate and comfortable than heels. I touch up my makeup in the mirror, knowing Harry will be here any minute now.

A night where we can just forget the world around us honestly sounds amazing. I don't want to think of anything but Harry tonight because I know after tonight we'll have to find who's responsible for all the murders. I didn't think I realized how much of a break I needed until Harry suggested we go on a date tonight.

I wonder what we're going to do. He's such a romantic that every date feels like something out of a movie or novel. I want to get swept away in him and never return to my current reality. Harry is like a dream, and I get so wrapped up in him that I never want to wake up.

A knock on the door causes the corner of my mouth to turn up into a toothy smile. I rush to the door, and my heart rate quickens, gazing into his intense pale eyes that send shockwaves through my body. Harry smiles back, a dimple resting on his cheek as he looks me up and down.

"God, you're beautiful," he says, pulling me in close into him. His breath hits my ear, and my whole body quivers with goosebumps. "This dress is doing something to me, darling." My face heats up, and I try to respond, but nothing leaves my mouth.