Twenty

Kerry is gone, and I have no clue who killed her. I look at everyone who I can't trust that would do this to hurt me. Jack was with me, so it wasn't him. Joaquin was sitting in a jail cell. Harry was at the station, so it wasn't any of them, and I'm at a loss. I'm back to square one.

Kerry's death spun me into a spiral, and I had to get away from everyone. I'm staying at a motel until I'm mentally okay to go back to work. I'm still trying to find out the pieces I've missed because maybe Kerry would be alive if I saw them sooner.

I called Lopez today and told him to give me all the forensic information about Kerry's case and my other files. I couldn't look at her body that night, and I needed to see everything they found to compare it to previous cases. While my parents arrange her funeral, I'll be catching the sicko who did this.

"Thanks, Lopez, and please tell no one about this or where I am."

"I won't, but just know everyone is worried about you. Harry especially."

"I know, but I needed to get away. I need to figure this case out before another person gets killed."

"I understand. Take it easy," he says and leaves my motel room. I hope he keeps his promise and doesn't tell anyone.

I open the box of files and read the report starting from the beginning.

The first victim was in Seattle, and his name was Fred Dent. He was a popular business mogul and died of what first appeared to be a beating that was actually cyanide poison. The same is for the second in San Francisco, Andrew Archer. They both had cuts on the back spelling frauds. Then I looked at George Reynolds, who's also similar, but instead, the killer uses abuser. When I get to Kurt Green's file, he's the only one that isn't killed with cyanide or beat up to make it look like an assault at first. I didn't factor that in on my first thoughts, and I'm starting to believe Kurt was killed by a copycat instead. Harry also seemed to notice based on the evidence he hid from me.

Everything in Kerry's death is similar to the copycat, but there's still something different about these two murders. It's not as clean as the other deaths, making me think it was a copycat. They don't cut as deep, and it isn't as clean as Reynolds, probably because they aren't used to cutting human flesh. And Kerry was strangled, not poisoned or stabbed– all to more reason to point to a new copycat killer for Kerry's death. She was in a risky business. Maybe they thought covering up as a mass murder case wouldn't draw many questions to them. Now I'm sure someone she worked with did this. I just have to figure out who.

However, that means Jack could still be a suspect for being the real Craver killer. He didn't kill my sister, but there's still plenty of blood on his hands.

A knock on the door startled me, and I'm shocked to see who's on the other side of it.

"Anthony, what are you doing here?" I look at him, he looks pale and his eyes are red. Has he been sleeping, he doesn't look so well.

"Making sure you're alright, I've been looking at every motel and hotel in the area for you. I'm sorry to hear about Kerry." I can't form words. All I can do is hug my best friend. We haven't spoken in weeks and he went through all that trouble just to see if I was alright.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For kicking you out like I did. We're friends. I shouldn't have shut you out."

"It's alright. And by the mess, I can tell you haven't given up on the case. Aren't you supposed to be resting," he teases.

"How can I when there's a murder on the loose. Plus, Kerry was killed by someone she worked with who tried to make it look like the other murders."

"Really? You might catch them then."

"Yeah, but I need to catch the original first."

"Any clue who it is?" Anthony says, sitting on the bed.

"No," I sighed, taking a seat beside him.

"I think this might help," he digs inside his coat and pulls out an old newspaper. "I should've given you this a long time ago. That guy you were looking for left it behind, almost like he wanted me to find it. I didn't think it was useful to your case, so I kept it, but now I'm not so sure."

"Jack left this at the restaurant," I gasp, snatching it from his hands. It's an old newspaper the front page has the same family portrait in Harry's foyer. The article is titled: Tragic Parents Death Leaves Two Boys Orphaned. I read the article, and it says Harry's parents died a mysterious death while the boys were out at a friend's house, and the youngest one found their parents died in their living room. They were expected to go live with an aunt close by or go to an orphanage. Though they both inherited a lot of money, they wouldn't get it until they turned 18. Harry was six when they died. And I'm assuming "mysterious death" implies murder, but there's no physical proof of foul play.

"What do you think?"

"I think I need to look into this. Thanks for checking up on me, Tony, but I need to be alone again."

"Yeah, I'll let you work. I'll be back tomorrow with your favorite food from the dinner." Anthony gets up and shoves his hands in his pockets.

"Oh, that's why I love you. Thanks, see you soon," I say as he walks out of the room.

Though I wish Anthony gave this to me sooner especially if it turns out being a clue to this case, I'm just glad I have something now.

I grab the newspaper and my coat and head to the library. I get every book, magazine, archive I can in hopes I find some answers. The newspaper article mentioned their company name so I search everything and luckily found an old business magazine talking about Harry's parents and how they ran an impressive clothing store business passed down from two generations before. I also came across a book written by Harry's dad on how he remains successful. I try to catch anything that might helpful, and it isn't until the last two chapters that I find something. They were in New York to expand their brand to the US and partnered with Gilbert Reynolds and Kyle Dent.

Those last names are the same as some of the victims. So I looked into the company name to see what happened to it after Sarah and Joseph died and found out Reynolds and Dent took over the company. Now, if they were murdered, it's very possible Reynolds and Dent did it so they could inherit this wealthy company when their original company wasn't even a third as much. They got killed for money, and if either brother figured that out, it would make sense if they wanted revenge. If this Reynolds or Dent is related to those who died, then that is exactly what could've happened.

I went to talk to Mira Reynolds after hoping she'll know what relatives I could talk to, and she gave me her late husband's phone book. I called every aunt and uncle to see if there were any relations, and I almost gave up on the last one.

"Hello, is this uncle G? Sorry, that's how it was listed. I'm calling in regards to George Reynolds."

"This is Gilbert Reynolds speaking. My nephew died last month. What is this about?" He grumbles.

"I'm detective Evans. I'm looking into your nephew's case. I have a strong lead on who it could be, but I needed you to confirm something for me. Did you and Kyle Dent partner with Sarah and Joseph Styles in 1956?"

"Yes, what does that have to do with my nephew's murder?"

"I believe someone is targeting you and Dent's family members due to what happened to the Styles. I think the killer blames you two for their deaths and is getting revenge."

"Well, that's ridiculous. We had nothing to do with their deaths."

"I know, sir, but the killer thinks it. But thanks for your corporation. I think I know who it is now. Thank you," I say before hanging up. By the way, he acted; I'm not sure if that's true, he had nothing to do if Harry's parents' death, but that's not my case.

I go back to my motel room and piece all this new information. Before making any final decisions, I will look through every file again, knowing what I know now.

I'm confident I'm going to find the killer now.