Twenty-one

*surprise double update

It took nearly 24 hours, but I figured it out, and looking back, all the clues were there just didn't know where I should've been looking. Still before I put my plan into action I sat with my findings for another day before calling the Chief and informed him of my plan and my location. If all goes well, justice will be rightfully served.

A knock on the door startles me. I didn't expect anyone so soon. I told Anthony to cancel, so who's here. Opening the door, Harry stands on the other side with his hands shoved in his pockets. "What are you doing here?"

"The Chief told me your plan, and I rushed over before you do anything stupid. You can not go alone. My brother can't be trusted."

"Harry, I'll be fine. I told the Chief so he'd send me back up when going to the park. He asked for me, and I'm going to get a confession on the wire."

"Still, anything can happen. Please let me come with you!" He panics.

"No, if he sees you, he'll run. He only agreed to talk to me."

"Andrea, just listen—"

"I'm done having this conversation Harry. But I need to talk to you about my sister's murderer. Here's all the evidence that makes me believe it was the club owner and maybe even one of his doormen who killed her. I need you to focus on this instead," I hand him the case file.

"Fine, I'll do it. But why do you think Jack is the killer? I know he's been violent before, but what made you so sure. I couldn't find any physical evidence for an arrest."

"I found out something that made me question everything and everyone, and I know I've been blinded. Jack told me that, and I didn't believe him." Harry looks up from the file in his hand to stare at me. The stare waivers, and his eyes scan me, questioning what I know he doesn't.

"What are you talking about?"

"I know that you're parents were murdered by Gilbert Reynolds and Kyle Dent. I know you found them and figured out they didn't die of mysterious causes. I know Jack also found out too. Apart from the copycats, I know all these deaths are acts of revenge. I know Jack was stalking me. And I know who the murderer is."

"If you know it's Jack, why not just let the chief arrest him instead of playing his games."

"Because it isn't Jack. It's you, Harry." And that broke part of the wall he's been holding up for so long. He tried to regain his composure but it's too late I saw the guilt and shock on his face. He's slipping, and it's clear I have him swarming in his sea of lies.

My plan was to get the Chief to tell Harry that I would talk to Jack alone because I knew Harry would try to stop me. It was to make him believe I didn't know the truth and watch him slip up. I have a tape recorder hidden underneath the table, catching everything.

"What? That's absurd! I didn't kill anyone. I got over my parent's death years ago. Did you really let Jack get to you? This is what he does, Andrea. He manipulates people into believing what he wants. He's the murderer," his mouth fast with every breath and eyes moving erratically across my face.

And every ounce of me wanted to believe him. I wanted to trust him. But Harry is drowning in his fears and regrets, I can see the green in his eyes darken, and his breath starts to rise. All signs of a person guilty. He no longer resembles the man who helped me on my first day, the man who walked me to my car at night, the man who bought me muffins or flowers, and the man I fell in love with. I'm now left with a cold and hallow version of that man.

Two nights ago when I was putting the pieces together, I came to the conclusion it had to be one of the brothers. All evidence pointed to them. However, I knew one was also a copycat killer for Kurt Green, so I went to see Jack first to get some answers. Since he admitted to kidnapping Reeves, he was charged and currently sitting in a jail cell until Mr. Reeves decides to drop the charges.

"Hello Jack, how's the cell life," I tease, watching him with his head between his hands.

"What do you want, Andrea?"

"You're the copycat killer, aren't you?" I ask, wanting him to tell me anything else. Confess he's the crazed murderer and not his brother.

"You're only asking because you found out the truth?" I sigh, just wanting him to give me a straight answer for once.

"No more games, please. I'm so tired of games."

"Yes, I only killed Kurt Green out of self-defense. I saw that he robbed you and tracked him down. He punched me and then pulled out his pocket knife when I confronted him. I managed to get it from him and only stabbed him when he started to attack me. I made it look like the other murders to warn Harry that I'll expose him." He didn't stumble over his words nor did it feel rehearsed. I sigh. He's telling the truth.

"What happened when you got sent to a mental hospital?"

"Long story short, I was going to expose my brother's murders, and he framed me for them and told them I did it because I'm schizophrenic, then they sent me to the looney bin," Jack says.

I wanted every word Jack said to be wrong. I wanted to believe the man I love not to be capable of killing anyone. But my reality came crashing down, and it's still crumbling.

"Andrea, please listen to me. I didn't kill anyone." I look to his hand give a small shake. Harry's lying, and I need to get him to confess. I need him to admit to his crimes and face the consequences. That's the man I fell for. A man who knows he's in the wrong can accept it.

"Harry, I love you and can even overlook this, but I need to know the truth did you murder Reynolds, Dent, and Archer." I tried so hard to keep in my tears, but a couple slipped down my cheek as I stepped closer to him and put my hand on his cheek. He avoids eye contact, the waterline a brimming red of close tears.

"And what if I did. Will I be able to see you again, or will you be so disgusted and disappointed you never want to see me again."

"Harry, I don't think I can go a day without seeing you," I say, and I mean it, but I also know it's the only way to get what I need to hear.

Harry removes my hand from his face and takes a step back, looking me in the eyes. A huge sigh escapes his lips.

"Yes, I killed them. I wanted to avenge my parents." And though I knew the answer, it still hit me like a bullet. I almost break, but I compose myself and draw my gun.

"Harry Styles, you are under arrest for the murders of George Reynolds, Fred Dent, and Andrew Archer. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law—"

"Darling, I'm not going to hurt you. Put the gun away." And though I want to believe him when he says that, it's hard to trust anything from his mouth anymore. So I continue to hold the gun and finish his rights.

"You have the right to have an attorney present. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you."

"Andrea, please put the gun away," he says again. I go to grab my handcuffs, but Harry tries to swipe my weapon away.

"Harry, stop resisting arrest," I grumble, fighting back. "Let go of the gun. You're going—" ringing spirals in my ear and the ground slips behind my feet as I fall. Everything felt like I was in slow motion, my impact on the floor, Harry gargled shouts, and my pain in my lower abdomen, seething.

Harry stumbles to the ground beside me, and the fluorescent lights burn my focus as I begin to see two of him. My head feels light and heavy at the same time. I start to struggle to get air while the ringing slowly quiets. Is this the end?

Harry grabs my hand, and the last thing I hear is "I'm sorry," fall from his lips. My eyes grow heavy and then everything goes black.

✺✺✺✺✺✺
Some of you might already suspected it but I was hoping just to keep everyone confused for the most part.

The last chapter is next.