1

Virginia had been having a good day, despite the constant worry he held when his brother was off at work. He'd spent time with his nephews early in the day, and now, date night with Mary. Westie would be home tomorrow, back to waving off his brother's concern... Of course, things can never be that easy, can they?

Date night between the two was never anything big. With the pandemic, they mostly stopped going out for it, even if places were starting to reopen. So, the two curl up together, watching a movie or show.

Virginia doesn't think much of it, when his phone rings, planning to just ignore it... but he recognizes the area code... it's from West Virginia. Suddenly there's ice in his veins. He pulls away from Mary, quickly answering it. He prays it's nothing. A spam call, please, it has to be. "Hello..?"

"Hello. Is this Edward Wright?"

Just spam. It's gotta be. "It is... Can I ask who's calling?" Please.

"I'm calling on behalf of the West Virginian Mining Company." Virginia is shaking now. There are only two reasons they'd be calling him... he hopes for the slightly better of the two. "We have you listed as Oliver Wright's emergency contact... I regret to inform you that there was a cave-in today, in the mine Oliver was working in."

"... Please tell me he got out. That he just got hurt"

The moment of silence says it all. '... I'm sorry sir.'

Virginia feels like he's suffocating (it's even worse when he thinks- that's exactly what could be happening to West) 'What- What's being done? He can't- he can't die. It's there a-a-a rescue team working?? What--?'

'We're doing what we can, sir, but please understand. The area surrounding the cave-in is still very unstable. With where Mr. Wright was when it occurred... Well it's highly unlikely anyone there would have survived--'

'No. No, you don't understand. He can't die! He's gotta be- he's in there! Trapped! You've gotta- gotta--' He's hyperventilating a bit. Maryland pulls him back into him, wrapping his arms around him.

'Sir, we're going to do the best we can. But we cannot guarantee anything.'

'... I understand... Thank you.' And with that, the phone call ends. Virginia droops back into Mary, shaking hard, phone slipping from his grip.

'... They'll find him. He'll be okay.' Mary doesn't sound like he fully believes it, but he's trying. Virginia turns in Mary's hold to bury his face in his shoulder. Mary just runs his fingers through Virginia's hair, and hold him closer

'... What am I gonna do?' He mumbles it into his partner's shoulder. 'He's my baby brother and now he's-' Virginia's voice breaks. '... How am I gonna tell Kenny?'

'One step at a time, hon... I'll go with to tell Kentucky. I'd never make you do that alone. Then, we get to work, figuring out how to get 'em looking for him faster...' He kisses the side of Virginia's head. 'We'll get him out of there.'

'He must be... so scared...' Virginia sounds so lost. Mary knows that he's likely to have an actual meltdown at some point, but for now... Virginia is still processing it.

'No speculating... It won't help anything... Let's go find Kentucky. That way we can get to bringing West home quicker.' When Virginia gives him a silent nod, Mary stands and brings the other with him.

Virginia leads the way out of their room, even if he's moving like a ghost, Mary following closely. There are luckily very few states on their way, and the few they do pass, don't give them more than a curious glance. The closer they get to the garage the slower Virginia seems to move, but Mary keeps a hand on his back to keep him moving. As they reach the door, Virginia's shakes are back. He doesn't know how to tell his brother. He knows he has to, but he really doesn't want to.

... It's going to crush him.

'I'm right behind you, hon.' Maryland is his rock, has been for a long time. He'd stayed at Virginia's side for most of their lives. There was only one period of time that he'd left him during and... Well, Virginia doesn't blame him for that in the slightest. He wasn't a good person during that time.

So, With Mary behind him, he opens the door to the garage. Kentucky glances at him as he enters, shooting him one of his signature half-smiles... He has no idea what's happened.

It takes a moment for Kentucky to register the look Virginia has on his face and turn back to him. "Why the face? Promise, I didn't do whatever it is.'

Virginia just has to shake his head at that. "Kenny..." he doesn't want to tell him... Mary squeezes his shoulder, and it occurs to him that Kentucky shouldn't have to hear this alone. "Where's- Where's Geo?"

"... Needed to get outside for a bit. Ginny, what's wrong?' His smile falters, and Virginia hates knowing it might not come back anytime soon.

"We should-... Let's go get him... I gotta tell you something. He should be here for it too."

Kentucky looks like he wants to argue. Like he wants to push Virginia until he tells him what's going on.... But he doesn't. They've gotten better at not pushing each other to their breaking point like that. "Okay... Okay, I'll go get him." He then rushes out of the garage in the direction of where Georgia would have gone.

Mary wraps his arms around him again, and Virginia leans back into his embrace. He really feels like he doesn't deserve his partner. Not after everything he's done... But he's so grateful he does. He doesn't know what he'd do, if he had to tell Kentucky alone.

When Kentucky returns with Georgia, they both look... concerned, to say the least. Worried. Georgia takes one look at how Virginia is leaning into Mary for support and asks a simple "What happened?"

Virginia looks down for a moment, unable to actually look at his brother with what he has to say. His voice shakes, as he says "I... I just got a call." He looks up and sees the confusion on each of their faces. They haven't put together what he means yet. "I got a call from... The West Virginia Mining Company..." And suddenly realization dawns on each of them. Kentucky visibly shakes, and he reaches out to Georgia... Virginia's glad he had Kentucky get him.

"No... No, not- not Westie... What- What hospital is he at?? He's gotta be- We gotta go see him!" Kentucky's clinging to his husband at this point.

".... He's not." Virginia's voice is so choked, like he can barely get the words out. "They haven't... He hasn't been found yet."

The noise that pulls from Kentucky is almost unbearable to hear, and Virginia is back to not looking at his brother. "No... What are they- They're looking for him, right?? He can't- he can't die, what are they-- What can we do?"

"They said... That they're doing their best... but I don't think they believed me... I don't know what we can do, but..."

"Gov..." It comes from Georgia. "Gov could- He could pull some strings. He's always able to..." And...

That's not a bad idea. Their nephew... If anyone could get the progress moving, it was Gov... And the sooner they got Westie out of there, the better. "Will you... Can you call him? It might... He might listen to you better."

Georgia immediately nods, knowing he's in better shape to make that call than either of the brothers. He pulls out his old, beat-up flip phone, and dials Gov's number... There has to be something that can be done... there just has to be.

Well, this certainly is a choice I made... More to come, hopefully, and we'll see exactly what shape West is in