[ 4 ]

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

𝙷𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚊𝚝 𝚆𝚊𝚛

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"Emma... I love you..."

Emma tearily sniffed up at the tall soldier before running into his arms, "Oh, Hugh! I love you too!" she loudly exclaimed.

Ignoring the sounds of gunfire happening outside of the makeshift fort, Hugh shifted to envelop Emma into his side, brushing aside the stinging pain of his recent injuries in favor of hugging the love of his life. "My dear Emma...thank you for being here." He smiled fondly at the woman before suddenly grimacing, struggling to sit up from the stiff hospital bed.

"Hugh! Don't you dare try to sit up! You'll aggravate your injuries..." Emma nervously fretted over the man, attempting to get out of his embrace, only to be stopped by the feel of his muscular arms wrapped firmly around her waist.

"Emma..." Hugh stared deeply into his lover's mesmerizing brown eyes, "Will you make me the happiest man alive by marrying me?"

Emma gasped loudly, heart racing at the intense expression in his eyes as he popped the one question she had always been hoping to hear ever since she met him nearly 2 years ago.

"Emma? Love? Are you ok?" Hugh asked, worried because she hadn't answered him in the last few minutes.

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes! A million times yes, Hugh! I will happily marry you!"

Hugh smiled, relieved that his beloved had accepted his proposal before snatching her lips in a fierce and fervent kiss.

Unbeknownst to the newly engaged couple, a nearby god was sitting across from them, looking at them with pride and longing in his bright amethyst eyes. Heaving a heavy sigh, he yearned for the day he might be able to lovingly embrace a certain goddess as well. He burned for the moment he might be allowed to place a passionate kiss on his goddess' smooth, rose-colored lips.

As the pair of lovers chattered excitedly about their future, the god unfurled his large angel-like wings, satisfied that his job here was done. Pushing back thick blond hair, he gazed one last time at the two embracing in the middle of a battle before turning to walk away, praying that their future might be as enduring as their love.

I want that too.

Flying away from the small medical base, the god allowed himself to dwell on the state of his own personal affairs, or rather, his lack of one.

Why do I anguish alone when my job itself is to spread love?

Even amongst the cover of numerous clouds, he could easily spot numerous red lines linking people to their soulmates, their hearts eternally bonded to their other halves.