Prologue

This one is for you AshleyMistMalichi

"0-1-1-2-3-5-8-13-21-34-55-89..." An endless stream of numbers always fell from his lips. It sounded random to most people but if someone paid attention they would realize that it was always the same numbers, not that anyone noticed.

He had always experienced the world differently than others. People didn't make sense. Numbers did. Everything could be calculated, even beauty. The Golden ratio. 1.618, based on the Fibonacci sequence. 0-1-1-2-3-5-8 and so on.

You could find it everywhere in nature. New leaves on a plant grow at a 137.5 angle to other leaves so they would cast as little shadow as possible to help each other grow. 137.5 was the golden angle. The number of crown leaves on a flower was almost always a Fibonacci number. The chord in an apple, a sea star, a pine tree cone, a pineapple, a sunflower. Two different spirals, counterclockwise and clockwise, both two different Fibonacci numbers when you counted the ones going counterclockwise and the ones going clockwise and when you divided those numbers with each other you got the golden ratio of 1.618.

Seashells grow from the golden spiral built on the Fibonacci sequence. 1-3-5-8... It was all about proportions. The diameter in one of those turns on the shell divided with another in the next turn gave you the golden ratio, 1.618.

He could see it everywhere in nature but also in a fetus. When his mum brought home an ultrasound picture of his new sibling he knew that he would love the baby growing in his mum's tummy, because it was beautiful, following the golden ratio perfectly. For every sister he got growing up he saw the same thing and he loved them all.

He saw the world in numbers and people found him odd. He found them odd too because they never noticed all the beauty around them. All they needed to do was to stop and count but people were always so busy. Blind to all the beauty around them. Maybe that was why he never found a person who fitted the sequence. There was no such thing as perfect beauty when it came to people.

That was a hypothesis that would be proven wrong and no one could be more surprised than him but his calculations were always correct. He had found a boy who was beauty defined by the golden ratio.