1

November 23, one of his favorite days of the year, simply because the date was the first digit of the Fibonacci sequence. 1-1-2-3. He was in a good mood as he sat down in the cafeteria to eat his lunch. Apples, because of their amazing cord. His mum never questioned it. She just packed an apple in his lunch bag every day along with sandwiches, cut in a special way, and a soft drink.

Like always, his brain mindlessly counted everything his eyes caught sight of. He seemed to have a built-in ruler that could determined the length of any object. Usually, he got restless whenever something didn't fit the golden ratio but whenever he found something that did his insides burst with joy. He could see beauty in the simplest of things, a crumbed paper, graffiti, a tree, as long as it followed the Fibonacci sequence in the form of a seashell.

Voices passing his table made him look up. An unfamiliar face caught his attention and his brain immediately started to count, as it had done with every face at this school. His mouth fell open and he let out a gasp. It couldn't be. He made the calculations again quickly. It added up.
"No way!" He shouted exhilarated making the boy jump and look at him.

He got up so quickly that his chair fell over. The boy had stopped. He looked confused. So did the guys he was with but Louis ignored them. He stared at the boy and walked up to him. He got up on his toes as soon as he was standing in front of him and reach out a hand.
"What are you doing?" The boy wondered but he didn't have time to explain.

He was amazed and exhilarated at the same time. He let the tip of his fingers run from the crown of the boy's head to the base of his chin and counted loudly.
"16.2 centimeters."

Then he measured the widest part of the boy's face, gracing his finger right above his cheekbones from side to side.
"9.9 centimeters."

The boy just stood still, staring at him. He continued.
"16.2 divided by 9.9 is 1.636. That divided with the golden ratio is 1.011328346. 101 percent! Amazing!"

He ran his finger in the air from the crown of his head to his pupils.
"8.4 centimeters."

He continued from the pupils to the middle of his lips.
"5.3 centimeters. I can't believe it! 8.4 divided by 5.3 equals 1.58. That divided with the golden ratio of 1.618033988...97.9 percent!"

Last he measured his face from the nose tip to the chin, from the middle of the lips to his chin, and from his pupils to his nose tip, running the numbers loudly, but not aware of it himself.
"101 percent and 91 percent! Almost perfection! 82.6 percent in total!"

"What does that mean?" The boy asked, sounding a little amused.

He realized what he had done and blushed. He looked down at the floor and rushed off.
"Who was that?" The boy asked the guys he was with.

"Uhm, that's Louis. He's weird." Liam answered.

"But brilliant! I think he's a math genius or something." Niall explained.

"Oh, that explains the Fibonacci golden ratio he was mumbling about." Harry chuckled.

"The what now?" Liam questioned.

"The Fibonacci... never mind." Harry smiled.

He glanced toward the entrance. The boy who just measured his face intrigued him.

Louis hid in the bathroom. The excitement he had felt had turned into shame. Even if he had trouble with socializing he wasn't stupid. He knew that his behavior in the cafeteria was outside the acceptable social norms in society. He had just made a complete fool out of himself. He had let his love for numbers take over once again, but he hadn't been able to control his excitement and shock. He had just found a person that fit his view on beauty. That had never happened before. That boy's face was almost perfect, with just a few percent off, just like some of the beautiful things in nature. Nothing was 100 percent perfect.

He went to math class and buried himself in calculations even if they were way too simple for him. He longed for the day he could get a higher education, focusing on math. High school was boring but at least he would graduate next semester.

He saw the beautiful boy again by the lockers and he couldn't keep himself from staring. He bet that the boy's eyes would follow the golden ratio as well if he looked closely enough, just as his ears did. They were formed in a perfect spiral. The boy noticed him and smiled at him, which made him blush again. He hurried off to his last class of the day.

Even if school was boring he liked the structure of it. Monday to Friday. He got up at the same time every morning. Showered for thirteen minutes, got dressed in clothes he had chosen the night before. His wardrobe looked the same. Blue jeans and a white t-shirt. He didn't like pattern unless it followed the Fibonacci sequence. That was different. He went downstairs for breakfast. One glass of orange juice, Fruit loops, and milk. He left for school at 07.43. Some days classes started later but then he just sat outside watching the bees. There was a beehive underneath the roof at the back of the school. Bees were fascinating. They followed the Fibonacci sequence. Male bees (drones) were produced from a queen's unfertilized egg. A male bee has only one parent - a mother and no father. The female worker bees have two parents a male (drone) and a female (queen).

Drones
Parents                                             1
Grandparents                                  2
Great grandparents                        3
Great-great grandparents             5
Great-great-great grandparents  8

Worker bees
Parents                                             2
Grandparents                                  3
Great grandparents                        5
Great-great grandparents             8
Great-great-great grandparents  13

It made so much sense and he loved when things made sense. So much in this world didn't.